Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Morgan 1885 MS 65 DMPL (PCGS)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 417Next Topic  
Valued Member

Germany
295 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  01:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add HP2001PH to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
https://www.ma-shops.de/davidlawren...p?id=2398337

Looks certainly like DMPL. And probably gorgeous in hand. But how is that MS65?

If posted here comments would be like ädeep hit on cheek holds it down at MS-62" or sth.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20061 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  03:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, and also with your reasons.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8060 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  05:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed with your comment - that cheek hit is a primary focal point for the coin.

Interesting that the website is in German and has the following disclaimer:

Quote:
Unfortunately, due to COVID-19, we are currently unable to ship packages to international addresses.

Why bother having an international sales website if the firm can't ship product?
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
Germany
295 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  05:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HP2001PH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a german website where numerous dealers offer their coins.

It is also used by US customers, and this here is a US dealer that only ships to US.

No idea why Covid prevents him from shipping internationally though.
Edited by HP2001PH
08/18/2022 05:27 am
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  07:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericgreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the grade. Keep in mind that PL and DMPL show more marks because of their mirrors.
Edited by ericgreen
08/18/2022 07:06 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10625 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That gash on the cheek kills the eye appeal for me. I sure wouldn't buy this one were I in the market for a 65DMPL common date Morgan.
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericgreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can find a better DMPL example for that money.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12968 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
they are much more lenient with marks/scratches/scuffs on PL and especially DMPL coins. I could see it at MS64+. the limiting factor for me is the scratch across the cheek. I think the reverse helped bump this one so the grade is pretty close
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71697 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a good analysis.
Valued Member
Germany
295 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HP2001PH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO it makes no sense to be more lenient with scratches and marks with PL coins.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12968 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it makes no sense to be more lenient with scratches and marks with PL coins

the fields are more susceptible to minor marks and the PL surfaces enhance them significantly. the coin most likely look way better than these photos
Pillar of the Community
United States
1545 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Id say without the hit its A very nice 65 +
I guess depending on how that hit shows in hand would be the deciding factor.
Those cheek hits even if minor should keep it from grading Gem though.
It must be very light in hand only seen at certain angles.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1133 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although I suspect the scratch it superficial, I still think it is overgraded. I don't think it is overgraded by much, and I see it at 64 or maybe 64+ but a 65 should be a lot cleaner than this.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25267 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A bit generous with the grade on this one. MS-64DMPL tops.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20061 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why should DMPL's be graded any differently to all other Morgans?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4722 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks accurately graded. The cheek mark appears to be a superficial scuff, not a gash. Fields show more marks in a DMPL coin than a regular one due to the mirroring. It's a drop dead gorgeous coin.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 417Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: