Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Two Questionable Indian Cents

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 415Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
1419 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  6:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have two Indian cents I'm curious about.
Can anyone suggest where I could send them for an expert opinion?
I'd like to know if they are any of the following: Genuine, Counterfeit, Variety, Mint Error, Post Mint Damage, etc.
I've tried twice now to reach the only person that comes to mind without a reply.
I'm hesitant about some of the services because I have one other world coin of a different kind and the only info that was given was that it is not genuine. There was no description what-so-ever that explained exactly what was not right about it.
These coins in question are claimed to be not genuine and I don't readily see why.
Contacting the original owners is just not possible.
I have experience with Chinese and other World counterfeits, but know little to nothing about U.S. Small Cents
Pillar of the Community
United States
635 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could post images here might not be a professional opinion, but there is a lot of collective knowledge here.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71520 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Show us pics of both sides of each coin, one coin per thread. I'm confident we can help you.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46438 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2558 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Check robbudo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add robbudo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have 1404 posts and should be comfortable posting pics. :) This is our area - looking forward to seeing the pics!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1419 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not a good picture taker and am struggling with these particular coins.
The difficulty is trying to get the true color.
I'm reluctant to post images knowing the color can be a factor.
If the members here are willing to help just on details alone, and don't place importance of the color, I'll try to shoot something acceptable and post when I have something useable.

The measures for the 1863:
19.1 mm Dia, 2.1 mm Thk, 4.73 grams and Specific Gravity is 9.096
The measures for the 1890:
19.09 mm Dia, 1.45 mm Thk, 3.06 grams and Specific Gravity is 9.0

Both have plain edges and coin orientation.
If color is not a factor, I do have other pictures that show better detail, just let me know if any other photos would be of interest.
Edited by Albert
08/19/2022 12:43 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
897 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures would be great, grabbing the color isn't really necessary to discern between genuine or not.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2558 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  08:54 am  Show Profile   Check robbudo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add robbudo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure what's going on with the O in OF on the '63, but nothing indicates they're fake to me.
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
both coins are genuine but harshly cleaned/Whizzed, what a shame.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1419 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1890 has what looks like mint luster, which is why I mentioned about color. I'm not good at showing what the coin really looks like.
I understand whizzing should leave obvious hairlines under magnification? I don't see those.
The 1863 looks like a couple dings or flat spots in some letters and the letter A is filled.
I did forget to factor in the known error of about 1.1% for the weight and SG values I posted.

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 415Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: