Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

No Date Lincoln Wheat Cent Mint Error - Partial Brockage

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 305Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4607 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  12:36 am Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This one was labeled partial indent, which was crossed out for partial brockage which seems correct. However, how to you get the wheat brockage on that side of the indented part? Shouldn't it be opposite of where it is?

Could use a little help understanding this one. I will note the coin weighs 3.10g, the edge is flared at the error and there is a raised rim of metal on the inside edge of the indented region from the tip of the nose south to the rim. The brockage is definitely incuse, but matches up nearly perfectly with the design on the reverse of the coin, which shows a weak strike at the high points opposite on the obverse.

No date Lincoln Wheat cent mint error - partial brockage

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71546 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obviously I can't help, but very interesting.
Learn More...
United States
116100 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2170 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TB
There was a previous off center struck coin that somehow stuck to the hammer die to become a partial die cap. This isn't the first strike but doesn't appear to be too far down the line
Another special one !
Pillar of the Community
United States
741 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All I can say is wow.
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parnelli917 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, wow!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1395 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic looking error! I like Stonemans explanation on this, you can see the upside down "T" in CENT brockage too.
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777
Pillar of the Community
United States
4607 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all and especailly Stoneman for seeming to nail down how this came to be. That solution never occurred to me which is why I asked folks wiser than I about it. Really kind of makes this a pretty unique coin for my collection as I'm not sure I've seen one of these before but definitely not on a Wheat cent.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10977 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 305Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: