Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Quarter 1968-D Strike On SMS Planchet And DDO, DDR And RPM Together? Help

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 1,888Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4277 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  6:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I post here and is confirmed that this coin was struck on SMS planchet (rest of San Francisco 1967) with the Anvil and Hammer which was never send in SF because they was already finish the 1967 production. All those designs are RDV-004 Type D.

Me and my collaborators we find this only in UN sets at a % of 0.11% average.

The question for you is if the coin has DDO,DDR and RPM in same time. Of 11 find in 1000 sets by me only this has this characteristics. I know they use only 4 anvils and hammer prepared for SMS.

FULL PICTURE(My camera sucks of this full)

OBSERVE: The BER in Liberty, the rest is correct, The Date only "968" and MM upper left corner seem RPM

REVERSE: The first S, the A and ES in STATES, The T's are correct. The left upper wing has a small die crack (in the circle), which was characteristic for the 1967 SMS's Anvil. Only EP show signs of MD

Sorry, I know many questions and many photos, but I have to confirm or infirm my troughs. the coin is part of my book for design varieties and not for DDO, DDR or RPM
Edited by silviosi
08/20/2022 7:12 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14102 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Check Dearborn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know, Sil, this looks like MD to me. I have a hard time seeing doubling that moves towards the rim at K12 and again towards the rim at K6. Also this looks shelf like to me. (I could be wrong, but just my opinion here)
Lets see what the others have to say.

(also there is no DDO listings for DDO on VV for a 1968 D quarter)
Edited by Dearborn
08/20/2022 8:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4277 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dear, the K12 and K6 different opposite direction on the same coin light me to ask here. For me is contraire to all physics laws of striking. Also at K12 why only the bottom of few letters and not all or also upper near the rim?
Learn More...
United States
26156 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No listings currently for RPMs on the 1968 D quarters, at least on varietyvista. I do see what might be a split serif on the top of the letter D though. Maybe instead it is a little scratch? Not sure.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4277 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here is close up of MM

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2454 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silvio I have 1968 quarter. here is a couple of images

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2454 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
one more Silvio. there this will show it hope this helps.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61082 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the images on V.V it shows a slight difference on the location of the 'N' near the head:
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4277 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes COOP, maybe you are right. The N is sheriff, which it is in RDV-006 of unconfirm for SMS because the dies was never use, and is normal for 1968 D Here the RDV-004 H versus this coin at Right.

Other thing: what you think about the "S" 's in STATES and the MM?

Hope you see again this post.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2454 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i decided to remove this coin. I want to share a full image. I am doing my best trying to jam this camera. so if its burry its me sorry
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2454 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here is the obverse
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2454 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
closer look at the head and the N
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2454 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silvio I scaled yours and my coins. they are different.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4277 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes because it is SMS die 1967. Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3324 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a confusing thread. Rocky, you coin looks different then silviosi. The finishes are different but lighting can play tricks easily. The main focus iv seen is the N in UNUM and silviosi has yet to show a close up of that spot specifically.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong here but it seems to be a 2 way conversation that confuses me. If you guys ever Wana PM me to explain your findings feel free but your probably just out of my league for Americain die pairings.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4277 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WR: interesting, do in your league you has another die with those S in states combine with the MM? And which year?
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 1,888Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: