Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 Penny On Dime Planchet

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 886Next Topic  

Canada
9 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2022  11:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tootired to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I also have a penny that looks like its struck on a dime planchet.

Canada
9 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2022  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tootired to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Funny thing is I also have a dime that looks like its stuck on a penny planchet same date1982.
Canada
9 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2022  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tootired to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BTW the white metal cent is magnetic and the dime is not.
Learn More...
United States
25486 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2022  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@too, best practice is to start a new thread for each new coin, so I have split your replies off into their own topic. For now, I'll keep both of these together. Folks wanting to reference the original thread can find it here:

http://goccf.com/t/428559
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47474 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2022  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Weight? Also,please properly crop photos before posting...thanks.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73567 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2022  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, weight please!

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
118567 Posts
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2022  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hobbs9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As others have said, you need to weigh it. Try to do it on a scale that has A resolution of at least 0.1 grams (0.01 is better).

It's not uncommon for cents to be plated after they leave the mint. One example is School chemistry classes. They sometimes do plating experiements to teach the concepts of electrochemistry. The advantage is that the test sample is cheap and the student gets to take the experiment home after class. Unfortunately, some tend to enter circulation and confuse collectors who get them in change

Hope this helps
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3324 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2022  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight is definitely important here. The first coin looks like a possible clipped error but it's hard to tell from the pics because they could be PMD tool marks.

As for the dime if it is not magnetic then there is something off about it for sure. Please add weights for both coins but post the dime in a seperate thread as not to confuse members that are trying to help.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1047 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2022  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the magnetic test is correct you should have at least two off metal strikes. When you get the weights confirmed someone may be able to match the planchets used.
The one cent coin looks like it has a weak strike and the the collar didn't have enough metal to completely form the 12 sides of the cent so I'd expect it could very well be on a ten cent planchet.
The ten cent coin I'll reserve judgement for now.

Cheers, Bill
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3324 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2022  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you also post an obverse pic for the dime? Whether it be here on in a seperate thread. It almost looks like 1962 based on the pictures which would make it silver and non magnetic.
Edited by Wrekkdd
09/02/2022 2:59 pm
Canada
9 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2022  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tootired to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will try to post better pics of these. The off metal cent is slabbed so I can't weigh.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5023 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2022  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What was on the CCCS label ?
Valued Member
Canada
56 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beaver22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please use these steps to determine the penny's planchet:
Weight
Is it reeded? If yes, it may be a dime planchet
Does it have multiple edges? If yes, it is most likely a penny planchet
And also, many schools have students plate pennies as an experiment.
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2022  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zimmy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First of all it's not a Penny but a Cent. The Cent will not have reeding unless it was struck over a previously struck dime (double denomination). Therefore the subject cent will have the multiple edges. Since its magnetic, it is most likely struck on a dime planchet, however weight will probably determine the planchets origin.
Learn More...
Canada
10265 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1c definitely looks like it was struck on a 10c planchet.

However, the 10c was not struck on a 1c planchet, as it would be too big to fit inside the collar die. The Royal Canadian Mint did strike coins for other countries however, and if you have the weight for the 10c, I can probably tell you which country's planchet it was struck on.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 886Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: