Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why Can't I Use My Ebay Gift Card To Buy Coins?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 639Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Australia
794 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2022  11:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got an ebay gift card specifically to use it to purchase coins, but when I try to use it I get a message "This code can't be applied to some of your items" (i.e. COINS)

huh?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1042 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2022  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Contact Ebay.

Pillar of the Community
United States
9970 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2022  12:34 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Per the U.S. eBay page, coins are not included as valid items for purchase with an eBay Gift Card. I assume eBay sells them to retailers at a discount to face value and so does not allow their use in low margin categories.

https://pages.ebay.com/giftcard/faqs.html
ANA #R3154474
Learn More...
Australia
14799 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2022  03:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, probably too easy to have some money-laundering scam going where "coins" are sold for face value and bought with gift cards - in effect, converting the gift card back into cash.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
6617 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2022  04:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's been in the eBay Gift Card terms and conditions fine print for several years now. I just remember it was an abrupt change with little, to no, warning. Most likely it was a money laundering problem of some sort.

I'm surprised they still let us (sometimes) earn 5% eBay Bucks on Coins and currency purchases (no bullion) near the end of each month (IF you are still enrolled in the eBay Bucks program!). New enrollments were cut off a couple of years ago, too. I just put the stuff I'm interested in on my watchlist and wait for the Bucks offer to show up. Every little bit helps!

Pillar of the Community
Australia
794 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2022  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't even use this stupid gift card to buy supplies like album pages or 2x2s because they are listed under "coins".

Ridiculous
Pillar of the Community
United States
6617 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2022  03:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can't even use this stupid gift card to buy supplies like album pages or 2x2s because they are listed under "coins".

The work around on this is to ask the Seller to list/move the item you are interested in to a gift card acceptable category. So, if you are looking for 2x2's, and they happen to be in "coins and currency", ask the Seller to move them into an "supplies" category and send you the new item number.

I've had sellers move stuff I've wanted (collectible coins) out of "Bullion" and back into "Coins and Currency" so I could earn eBay Bucks on a purchase. Most Sellers have been very accommodating about doing this. The most recent ones were some 2021 Morgan's listed in "Bullion" when in-fact they are actually collectible coins, denominated in dollars with no mention of purity or weight.

You just sometimes have to get creative.

As a last resort you can give the gift card away for a birthday or Christmas gift!
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 639Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: