Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Any Clues As To Why This Ebay Auction Is So Expensive?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,270Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1633 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2022  5:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Came across this earlier today and just don't see how it can be worth anything close to its bidding price of $520. Maybe someone's just bidding the price up?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1255055220...LH_Auction=1
Pillar of the Community
United States
1258 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2022  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of the bids are coming from accounts with few feedbacks and that can be suspicious.
My hoard of '82s is up to 241! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 6, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 17, 1782 x 60, 1882 x 68, 1982 x 45
Pillar of the Community
United States
2658 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2022  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two bidders that really want to win this lot.
Learn More...
United States
118370 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2444 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2022  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
12 bidders 56 bids. Only two people running it up. No reason in my opinion besides shill bidding or robot accounts.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73438 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2022  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's eBay. Are you really surprised?
Valued Member
United States
216 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2022  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've bought lots like this on eBay, this would would normally top out something around $100 (unless there is a rare date in there somewhere?) so this sure looks weird.

I mean, if it's shill bidders, they still have to pay the 12.9% fee or whatever, right?
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2022  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is shill bidding on behalf of the seller then maybe the shill bidder "refuses" to pay if they do indeed win and the transaction doesn't go through so the seller avoids the fees. Then eBay at worst would ban the shill account and the seller would create a new burner account to shill bid for them in future transactions.
Valued Member
United States
216 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2022  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And ... SOLD, to a bidder with zero feedback. The other shills get to keep their accounts.
Valued Member
67 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jsb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
shill bidding, then when it ends they just Cancel the order.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9085 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know the seller I asked him what was up, and will see if he gets paid.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), Civil Wat Token Society (CWTS), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member in good standing, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
United States
216 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know the seller I asked him what was up, and will see if he gets paid.

So there were 3 different real bidders all willing to pay over $500 for that lot? Am I missing a rare date or something?
Pillar of the Community
United States
9085 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seller isn't one to use shill bidders. he did reply to me on the lot...

Quote:
There were 2 bidders going back and forth up to $530, and then this garbage zero feedback guy came in on the last day and put in $560. He never paid, but one of the other bidders offered to pay $375, who also never paid. A 4th person, who saw me list it at $375 for the 2nd guy, offered $325 for it, but even he never paid... So I'm not sure what is going on but apparently no one wants to pay for it but everyone seemed interested!

But yeah I have NO idea why it got bid so high!

So he is as confused as we are on this one. Only costing him time and eBay fees so far, but at least he isn't shipping coins until the money is in his hand.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), Civil Wat Token Society (CWTS), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member in good standing, 2 variety collector.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2434 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like he's being harassed or punished by an unhappy customer (or a seller who perceives him as competition?). I wonder if all these "buyers" are the same person. Some of these ebay people are real creeps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9085 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a good observation, he had a bad incident go down not long ago where he lost a bunch of silver bullion coins in a trade for some coins that turned out to be counterfeit - trade was done off eBay and the scammer is known to several others as a bad actor in coin dealings, though is still on eBay selling (so far all good coins on eBay but off eBay not so much), nothing can be done about it - yet. There are some hobby advocates trying to out the guy and have him stopped and they are well aware of the deal I mentioned.

Could be the fact my friend (seller) tried to get his bullion back but was met with a nasty message then nothing but a block from the scammer.

Edited by westcoin
09/25/2022 3:44 pm
Learn More...
United States
118370 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,270Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: