Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1689 James II Shilling - Irish Gun Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 331Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
400 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2022  10:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just received this nice little coin in the mail.
AUD$38.00 all up, by auction.
Worn by the passing of the years, but still fairly legible.
It's easily my oldest coin now. Loving this hobby now.

1689 James II Shilling - Irish Gun Money
The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10935 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  03:14 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice acquisition! I love the Gun Money coins! Such a fascinating period of British and Irish history...
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
400 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  04:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks NumisRob.
Yes The little I read today about it is as you say, fascinating. I see that there are a lot of varieties, I saw three for the August 1689 alone.
I will be looking for more I think!
Learn More...
United States
116208 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20051 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gun Money in the grades as shown in OP's example are surprisingly inexpensive to the collector,
despite their great historical and numismatic importance.

ttkoo: Now that you have a representative example of this series,
it would be well to acquire as much historical background knowledge as is easily possible.
Other examples of Gun Money should become available to you, (especially the Shilling and Halfcrown), sooner or later.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4343 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  06:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great piece, I have always wanted some Gun Money, but never got around to getting it.

Stop me if you know this, but the coins were made out of melted down gun metal (Base Iron and Copper), and in 1694 they were devalued to about 2d in the shilling.

I think it was minted between May 1689 and Dec 1690 and mostly it was shillings and halfcrowns, but other denominations exist. It was used in Ireland, where forces friendly to James II were based. They were on the losing side at the Battle of Boyne in July 1690 and the siege of Limerick in May 1691. After that they pretty much (The Jacobites) went underground with two more attempts at overthrowing the British crown between 1715/19 and 1745/46 (Bonnie Prince Charlie).

I love COINS!!!
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
400 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would never stop you!lol
They have an intriguing history, of which I was ignorant until this last couple of weeks.
The fact that some guns were used was probably correct in part, but seems likely that mostly any scrap metal not nailed down got used, including bells and cannon.
Quite an effort was made to make the tokens as currency-like as possible to convince James troops that it was worth holding onto the tokens on the promise of being redeemed in silver after victory, even to the point of adding the month of mintage so the repayments could be made in order of issue.
The battles themselves seem to be largely held at stand off to each other, with the attrition of diseases and weather claiming more victims from each side than actual combat.
I could be miles from the truth but that is how I understand it at the moment
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20051 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ttkoo:
I figured that you would get attracted into doing some research into the background of this very interesting series !
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
400 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  02:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sel_69I
It was hard not to get pulled into the gun money rabbit hole. I was aware of a bit of the history of this period, but knew nothing of these "tokens"
When I can get some proper spare time I intend to delve more deeply into it.

Oh, and congrats on 20,000 posts, well done.!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1107 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  05:20 am  Show Profile   Check HoosierDaddy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add HoosierDaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I need a couple of these.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 331Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: