Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pocket Piece Coin: Which US Coins Are Unique

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 449Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
5083 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2022  10:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There are a lot of Classic Commemorative coins that were only issued one year and each coin had it's own unique design.

What modern US coin designs were only issued one year, minted only at one mint, in one metal composition only, and in only one finish that I can use and a new pocket piece and wear down to P01 and still be identifiable?

Off the top of my head I can only think of the gold 2016 Mercury dime, 2016 Standing Liberty quarter, 2016 Walking Half along with the 2014 gold Kennedy half dollar.

Also the Platinum Proof eagles with the rotating reverse designs (the bullion versions used the same reverse designs all years)

The gold "Liberty" coins seem to have a new design every year but some years may have come in multiple finishes.

Edited by jack jeckel
09/18/2022 10:30 pm
Valued Member
United States
236 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  12:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpeedDemonND to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure why you would want to take a newer coin just to wear it down unless it was already pretty worn when you found it. Of the examples you gave, those are pretty expensive.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20051 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  02:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The best coin to have as a pocket piece would be a One Dollar gold coin.
But it would need to be in a hard acrylic capsule with a bezel around that, and chain attached to the bezel, the other end of which would be attached to the inside of you pocket with a safety pin for security.

Small and light enough not to take up much room in your pocket and
certainly would attract the curiosity of anyone who had no idea that America had one issued gold dollars for circulation.

Not one year types perhaps, but to the non numismatic sort of individual, that would not matter.
Edited by sel_69l
09/20/2022 03:16 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11022 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure why you would want to were down a gold coin to next to nothing - unless you are planning on lining your pockets with gold dust.
I, myself have a 1900 Silver Morgan dollar as a pocket piece.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3182 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love the Topic, The Best Pocket Piece is the 1878 Uncirculated Cherry American Morgan silver dollar. It's been a pocket piece for a Long time.... Love Pocket Coin Pieces
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8240 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jack_jeckel: I think the 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Gold Coin with St. Gaudens' design meets your criteria - I dare you to make a pocket piece of that one!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
09/21/2022 07:43 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3182 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of course the Coin is in an Acrylic holder.....
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8240 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Of course the Coin is in an Acrylic holder....

Every one of the modern collector coins mentioned so far was shipped in an acrylic holder. The OP mentioned wearing the coin down to P01 - this would require removal from the holder!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3182 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just Reflecting SEL-691's Same Remark.... TY.
Pillar of the Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coincollector123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Every one of the modern collector coins mentioned so far was shipped in an acrylic holder. The OP mentioned wearing the coin down to P01 - this would require removal from the holder!

Imagine seeing a 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle coin in a P01 holder!
Learn More...
United States
116208 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Imagine seeing a 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle coin in a P01 holder!

I would actually be impressed. It would take a lot of work to get high relief anything down that low!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8240 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would actually be impressed. It would take a lot of work to get high relief anything down that low!

I'm looking forward to seeing your P02 example!

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 449Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: