Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1974 P Quarter Missing Clad Strip Or PMD?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 610Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  01:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Deecoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
can someone explain to me when they get time about the process of cleaning what is allowed and what is not allowed because I have a coin I really need help a nickel but has a stain on back I wanted to remove first but heard you should never clean coins acetone doesn't count? also how do you respond to a person an answer to a question in a group post if he leaves it
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3289 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  02:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@DECOIN The best for Nickel it is boric acid boiled at 40% acid. Sure if you shrub you will damage, but you do not want so after boiling for a 2-5 min (depending of condition) you soak or past in very hot water and job is done. Personally I dry with pression air.

Acetone on cooper change the color. Silver will be more flat or mat, the gold will change in reddish.

When I look at a coin I can say if was acetone bath in a few seconds. I do not personally consider restoration this, just damage because long term will show. Very old folks.
Edited by silviosi
09/21/2022 02:14 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46623 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  06:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a general rule:do not clean coins unless you know what you are doing. Practice on a lot of junk coins first.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CRHunting to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for the picture confusion.

Here you go:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1836 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Distilled water and acetone are the only accepted method of (cleaning) coins. And Verdi Care for copper. You can kind of see a little copper flakes mixed in the nickel. Still going to say copper filling in a gap in the nickel layer.
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CRHunting to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I noticed that too. There's copper showing through the rim on both sides exactly where that copper streak would be if it kept going through the rim. Great call on asking for edge images. I'm now leaning more toward this being an actual mint error.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11150 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3295 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the extra images. IMHO, it does look promising but this is probably one that would need to be sent in to someone for an in-hand look. The difference between damage and error can be subtle.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3289 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If was Mint error of missing clad, the rim will not has Ni. In the West we see many of those. Apparently was done in Oregon.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2226 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As silviosi correctly concluded, this is a stain.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 610Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: