Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2 Baiocchi Romana Republic Which One Would You Keep?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 207Next Topic  
Valued Member

Italy
388 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  08:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I know these coins are in bad shape, but for a relatively rare coin I'd like to keep an example...

Each has its strengths and weaknesses. I don't think these were well struck to begin with...

A hole which I think came from shoddy minting...a weak strike and limited detail... One has a cut in the metal which I think is a production error.

Any thoughts on which one you'd keep would be appreciated...

Edited by Roma2021
09/20/2022 09:13 am
Learn More...
United States
24749 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@roma, that is an interesting bunch. If I could only keep one, it would be the one without the hole, but with a little more detail.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Italy
388 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@spence... I'm torn between that one and the larger one with the tear at the bottom....these coins seem to attest to the hast with which they were minted...the french only occupied Rome for about 19 months...and I've seen few without some type of flaw. I imagine the hole is from the production,.no one would be punching these for metal content. Right?
Learn More...
United States
24749 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well maybe. To me, there are only three reasons why coins have holes in them: casting bubbles, to turn into jewelry, or to hang from a nail. I suppose this could instead be a perfectly round planchet flaw, but that seems unlikely to me.
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1139 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would keep the top one, it has the most details from what I can see. The holes and edge damage are most likely from minting, I don't think quality was the prime concern. From the looks of them, I suspect the bronze used came from varied sources (like melted bronze objects; the French revolutionaries melted church bells for coinage, with similar results). So the damage is a testimony to the conditions under which they were produced, which for me just gives some added value.
Valued Member
Italy
388 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh no! My two primary sources disagree!

I'll have a closer look tonight and think a bit ...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1139 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Oh no! My two primary sources disagree!

Nothing "right" when it comes to what you like in a coin. Just go ahead and pick the third one as your favorite!

Quote:
I suspect the bronze used came from varied sources (like melted bronze objects ...

I actually found a text about precisely that, how these coins were often made from "the bronze of bells and statues": CNI vol XIV, p 222.
Learn More...
United States
24749 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe take our difference of opinion as a sign that all of them are worthy coins. No harm in having a duplicate too.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Valued Member
Italy
388 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both, again, and always... The cite is great @era. The condition of the metal on these is the least or most attractive and much of the appeal.

Before era's cite, I was thinking/assuming they were just minted crudely cut planchettes from found metal...
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 207Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: