Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1997 Washington Quarter 100% Missing Clad On Reverse

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 374Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  3:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mt Airy Ed to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, folks.
I searched here for this and did not find my specific coin.
I do not have a scale, so I could not verify the coin's weight. It does seem thinner, the reverse side appears to be copper, not staining, and the edge appears to be copper.
I've seen a wide range of value on eBay, etc.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ed

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11090 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1814 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF and 100% not a missing clad layer. If it was it would not be struck up this sharp.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mt Airy Ed to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses. I read up on "dryer" and "spooned" coins https://adventuresincrh.blogspot.co...re-they.html

If it isn't a missing clad, why is the reverse side what appears to be full copper? If the coin is thinner, but the diameter is the same, where did all of that metal go?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59626 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is damaged now. But if it were missing a clad, the whole reverse would be red in color:

With two colors showing the reverse, something was covering the reverse and now the tops of the devices are showing the real color of the clad. The edge damage makes this a cull coin. (undesirable to a collector)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
963 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let me preface this with, all these people know more about errors than me, but I'd get a scale and weigh it just the same. You can get a reasonably priced scale on Amazon, would be interesting to see what it weighs. Get one that will read to the hundredth of a gram. You'll want one if you are looking for errors anyway.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2226 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a genuine missing clad error to me. It shows peripheral weakness and weak reeding, which support the diagnosis.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Pillar of the Community
United States
963 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Mike, I feel better now, I had the same thoughts but was beginning to doubt myself! I think the entire reverse is copper colored, some if it is just toned down.
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears that several of the forum experts have given their evaluations,some quite definitively. Whom do you lean toward on this one? The majority that claim spooned, dryer, definitely not as you suspect, or the one that agrees with your assessment?
Not to sure is a better response than definitely not is a better response sometimes.
Hopefully, a few of those that blew you off on this one will reevaluate their opinions and not be so fast to pass judgment in the future.
There is a big difference between spooned, dryer coin and missing clad.
It seems that you have been doing your homework more than some that offer their "expert" opinions here.
Lesson learned, go with your gut feeling. That pays off on occasion.
You more than likely won't here back from those telling you were wrong.
Good thing Mike D. is around to bring us all home.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1814 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still need the weight.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4617 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gotta agree with Mike. It looks like, and has all the characteristics of, a missing clad quarter. A great find!
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 374Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 5.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: