Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Changes In Buying On E-Bay

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 675Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
2786 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  12:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have noticed it being very much harder to find any good deals on coins. A few years ago I would frequently find large cents that were undervalued. Cannot find them anymore. I tried bidding on a 1825 cent about an hour ago. The bid was at $57 with 9 seconds left. I bid $90 and wasn't even close. Coin sold for $325. Here is the listing. Nice coin that was at least XF. https://www.ebay.com/itm/134232171287
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3627 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's bad news for buyers, but good news if you happen to be selling.

It seems that coin collecting is very popular lately.
ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
5374 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
eBay hasn't been the place for finding a bargain for a while. Yes they still exist, but mostly for modern items in which multiples are for sale. Coins that are rarer have been priced high on ebay for a few years. I do better price wise using local or dealer websites and bypassing eBay.
Learn More...
United States
116290 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The bid was at $57 with 9 seconds left. I bid $90 and wasn't even close. Coin sold for $325.
Yikes!

I have never won an auction on eBay. Yes, I have tried, even though many of you know I preferred to Buy it Now. I started putting in bids when the BIN pickings got slim. The ones I lost were either by a dollar or huge amounts like your example.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2269 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was watching all of the seller's items, as he had a few choice coins for sale. My personal highest bid was $50 on that particular large cent. Something to also note, the significant majority of this seller's items were categorized under the wrong denomination and type. For example, this coin was under Barber dimes. For that reason, this seller's items should not have come up on item searches, therefore should have realized lower prices. I believe that because he had a lot of choice coins for sale, it gathered a lot of attention and bidders as a result.

$325 seems like way too much for this coin in this particular condition. no returns as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9341 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder how many Coin Community Forum members catch the bidding fever and push some of the closing bid numbers up--just get caught in the frenzy of 'I gotta have that coin!'...? Human nature at play.
Learn More...
United States
116290 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not me. I set a high bid and leave it, no matter how many times eBay emails me to do otherwise. Probably the reason I have yet to win.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2786 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sad to me since I have purchased many hundreds of coins this way and the faucet has turned off. All good things come to an end I suppose.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4557 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given that NGC prices it at $600 in XF, why is anyone surprised it sold for $350? Or am I missing something? What would a LCS sell this for?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2786 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i saw those price guide values also. I was valuing at what a shop might pay for it. Probably would straight grade but who knows.
Edited by jerryc39
09/21/2022 5:59 pm
Learn More...
United States
116290 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All good things come to an end I suppose.
Unfortunately.
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add newguy22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd give it a couple years or so. Prices eventually correct themselves.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4350 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not really sure how you feel you could rip a $600 retail coin
for $90 and then go on about it .
The coin market is extremely good at the better end right now
and shows few signs of slowing anytime soon .
If that piece was offered to me at a coin show , as a dealer
I would very happily paid 300 to 350 . An instant sale at 425 to 450
any day of the week .
With all due respect Ebay and online " bottom feeders " will buy very little
decent stuff these days .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2269 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That particular coin, with the odd coloring and the poor photos, I didn't think would surpass $120. There are many other nice examples with even colors that sold for significantly less than $325. These were my observations prior to the auction closing.

I personally don't find the descriptive term "bottom feeders" appropriate in this circumstance, especially when poor photos are involved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2786 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
not sure I care for the bottom feeder reference either. The $90 bid when less than 10 seconds were left in the auction seemed ok to me. I would not have wanted to pay $325 for it so that's ok.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3500 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More buyers and sellers with more demand would result in less bargains.

Dont know why you would whinge about it.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 675Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: