Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I N B Grading Service Discussions

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 4 / Views: 285Next Topic  

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  1:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jfeed to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I see where the INB grading service issue has been covered a couple of times by Community Coin, but I wondered if you could advise me if there has ever been a situation where replica coins where actually
incased along with the phoney certification? Thanks
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfeed to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps I need to clarify my post. I messed up and listed a INB graded coin on ebay not knowing about the issues with this grading service. The coin was part of a large collection from my dad. Ebay kind of jumped on me and suggested that I was selling fake "replica" coins and pulled the listing. There is very little doubt that the coin is the real thing and that's why I ask Coin Community for advice. Thank you.
Learn More...
United States
116209 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may be possible INB messed up or that the coin and slab are both fake. However, I do not think the possibilities will help you as you want to know why your particular coin was pulled. It might be more helpful if you showed us the coin in question. Once identified, we can move this topic to the correct forum for proper assessment.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18129 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Highly likely, INB was just some guy in a basement as I recall.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Learn More...
Australia
14647 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's entirely possible that a "basement slabbing company" would slab a fake coin, either accidentally or deliberately. There can certainly be no guarantee the coin is genuine. And you'd kind of need to bust the coin out of the slab in order to test it properly for authenticity.

EBay isn't punishing you for trying to sell a fake coin; it's punishing you for trying to sell a "fake slab". A slab is supposed to convey some aura of legitimacy, and basement slabs do not deserve that legitimacy.

As a result, eBay has not outright banned the sale of basement-slabbed coins, but they have put strict rules in place that apply only to coins.They include that you cannot mention the Sheldon-scale grade the basement slabber has given it (for example, "MS-65"), or use then name of the basement slabber "INB" anywhere in the item description - you need to treat it as if it were a "raw" unslabbed coin, and give only an opinion of an adjectival grade (for example, "Very Fine").

It is, of course, a trap for those who are not regular coin buyers or sellers, and thus may not be aware of these policies. Sorry about that. But, now you know.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Replies: 4 / Views: 285Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: