Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Any Half Dime Collectors Here?

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 68 / Views: 2,983Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9595 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few half dimes. I enjoy the coins, but photographing them can be quite tricky!
Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ElmerFlick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to those who have responded! I have found the links on the liberty seated collectors website and have downloaded pdfs of the references noted by Westcoin. I'm having some of the same difficulties with determining realistic buying prices as I had when I was collecting 3 cent silver circulation strikes as guide and ask prices seem to diverge for rarer coins. It seems like this set is the ignored stepchild of liberty seated collectors as many seem to focus on dimes and larger denominations. I've also decided to work on the capped bust half dime series at the same time as the set is small and the coins seem plentiful.

ElmerFlick
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ElmerFlick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Todays haul (there are a lot of lcs's near me!).
1842-O & 1868

Learn More...
United States
118320 Posts
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ElmerFlick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some more finds from 20 minutes at a local show today. The 1861 is a 1/1/0.

Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
regarding capped bust half dimes - there is a really solid reference called "Federal half dimes 1792-1837" by Russell Logan and John McCloskey. there is a coin club for those too. its called the John Reich Collector Society or JRCS. they focus on the capped bust designs by John Reich but cover all the bust and flowing hair silver coins in some capacity.

years ago I collected that series by die variety. awesome little coins. I made a small contribution to numismatics by discovering an unreported variety of the 1800 half dime. its my profile picture.
i like large cents. I currently have >225 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2624 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer the half dimes to the dimes. I think it's the smallness and intricacy. Like jewels.

You might also be interested in the Spanish 1/2 reale cobs which are the same size. The royal monograms are fascinating. Here's a pretty nice Felipe II. The king's Latin name is intertwined to create the monogram. It looks suspisciously like a fake but you get the idea.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154914887517
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
10/02/2022 7:16 pm
Learn More...
United States
118320 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Some more finds from 20 minutes at a local show today. The 1861 is a 1/1/0.
Nice examples!
Valued Member
China
68 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2022  01:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of course
I major in Seated dime. I also collect half dime.This is what I get today,1838 half dime!

Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2022  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ElmerFlick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found a nearby jewelry/coin dealer who is semi-retired and slowly divesting his collection. Here is what he gave me the opportunity to purchase.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2022  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ElmerFlick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
6617 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2022  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you exercise that "opportunity" and add them to your collection?
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2022  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ElmerFlick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why yes, I did.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2624 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2022  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My goodness those are nice ones.

I got this one in a swap for a well worn cc half eagle plus a California fractional dollar. I think I got the better deal, even though the grading service had bodybagged it. Carson City is a good place to tempt dealers with the local coinage.

Dealers I've shown it to think it's genuine. It now resides in a flip in my wallet. I can't do much damage to it in this condition.

"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
10/10/2022 8:55 pm
Learn More...
United States
118320 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2022  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I found a nearby jewelry/coin dealer who is semi-retired and slowly divesting his collection. Here is what he gave me the opportunity to purchase.
Fantastic!
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 68 / Views: 2,983Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: