Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Any One Identify This Coin? | Contemprary Counterfeit William IV Halfcrown

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 394Next Topic  

United Kingdom
8 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  07:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kilian to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi I have this nice coin which I believe is George lll - text reads Gulielmus lll and it is dated 1836 on the other side. I can't work out what the denomination is and also any idea of value. Many thanks for any information!

Coin identified, title edited - Sap
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1142 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps a half crown: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces12808.html

Do you have weight and diameter?
United Kingdom
8 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kilian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi thanks - it is 9.6 gms and approx 3 cm diameter.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1142 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So the diameter matches that of a half crown, but 9.6 g is seriously underweight, it should be about 14 g. That and the somewhat porous surface gives me some concern about its authenticity, but one of our experts on British coins will hopefully give their opinion too.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20062 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Erafjel has identified the type correctly.
I have an example of these in about VF condition.
When I saw the picture, I instantly thought 'forgery'.
Weight confirms.
United Kingdom
8 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kilian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi how interesting. Does it have any interest or age or value with this information?
Many thanks
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10949 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does it have any interest or age or value with this information?

It's almost certainly a contemporary forgery made to circulate, rather than a more recent one to deceive a collector. Some people do indeed collect and study contemporary forgeries.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
651 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I concur.
Contemporary cast copy.
Learn More...
Australia
14658 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And for the record, it's George IV. George III was long gone by 1836.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
4015 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And for the record, it's George IV. George III was long gone by 1836.
It's actually William IV. Those Latin names can be deceptive.
Learn More...
Australia
14658 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's actually William IV. Those Latin names can be deceptive.

Ha ha! Of course you're correct, how silly of me.I should double-check such things before typing too quickly.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
United Kingdom
8 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  04:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kilian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of course, if there is one thing I have committed to memory it is Kings and Queens' dates! Thanks for all the help.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4359 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  05:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with the above. The coin is likely a contemporary copy of a William IV Halfcrown. It looks like it was likely uttered back in the 1830s or 1840s rather than a modern Chinese fake.

The genuine coin should look like this.

In "Average" condition.

However the weight should be 14.13 grams for a UNC piece, this condition 13.5 seems more suitable, a worn flat dog around 12 grams.

Uttering was the term given to making fake coins back then. Until 1832 you could be hanged for making a fake ú1 note, and making fake halfcrowns would win you a trip to Australia for at least 7 years - One way!

I love COINS!!!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1294 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

making fake halfcrowns would win you a trip to Australia for at least 7 years - One way!

I heard on a docu that some actually chose death by hanging rather than transportation. Ironic choosing death given that most convicts were released earlier than their sentence dictated and ended up doing far better than if they had stayed in the UK. Alas, some poor sods did end up in NZ after serving time in Oz.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
420 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Alas, some poor sods did end up in NZ after serving time in Oz.

you're goin' straight ta heck for that one!

The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 394Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: