Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1937 P Lincoln With Raised Letters On The Rim. (Not Our Usual.)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 307Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3273 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  11:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1937 P Lincoln with raised letters on the rim. (Not our usual.)
(I love a good mystery!!)

This coin seems to be from a very worn die judging by the die flow lines around the bust and other devices.

At first glance, this looked PSD on the obv. "Mashed" rims aren't what they seemed at first. There are some raised areas on the obv. rim that looks like design elements.

100% of the reverse rims have a different anomaly affecting the area of the rim gutter.

I'll post images and let others share their thoughts.
(Please look at the reverse images before sharing your thoughts as that is what made me think this isn't just another case of PSD.)

(Thanks for any help in figuring this one out.)

Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46544 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a former Encased Coin and a few too many photos.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16284 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PMD of some sort.
Certainly couldn't happen during the striking of the coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11081 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1809 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has to be post mint, but what. The mark at 3:00 on the obverse looks like the arc of the 9. Has to be coincident.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3273 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I know, PSD was the first thing I thought of as well. But things aren't adding up for that.

Thanks for the input guys but there was a reason I included soooo (LOL) many images. Each of the obverse images (excluding the one @ LIBERTY) shows a raised area similar to a device. The reverse images showed a bumpy texture from K5 to K2 that's not like any Encased Cent I've ever seen.

Quote:
... The mark at 3:00 on the obverse looks like the arc of the 9. Has to be coincident.

Has to be? It and the other one right beside it are raised.
Might be, but there are five areas with what appears to be a raised design element on the rim. I've never seen an Encased Cent that left raised letters on the rim.

Maybe it's one of those coins that need to be "in hand" to enjoy.

I'll pack this one away in a 2x2 and let you know if I find out anything definite/different.

Thanks again.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2226 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1 is correct. This cent was an Encased Cent or shows a failed attempt at creating Encased Cent. The raised elements on the obverse were transmitted by the ring-shaped die that stamps the outer ring composed of aluminum or pot metal.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46544 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  04:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Mike.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3273 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Mike for confirming John1's attribution. (This one got me good.)

So many things about the reverse rim seemed out of ordinary for an Encased Cent.
The bumpy texture around the rev. rim seemed to extend into the left wheat. (Not just circulation damage)

The uneven secondary line between the right wheat and the rim.
I thought maybe something like "gritty" grease(?) might have been in the rim gutter. But all of that must have been a "mirror" of the inside of the enclosed cent holding the coin.

Thanks again everyone. Love learning new "stuff".
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 307Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: