Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1893 S Barber Half Slab Or No?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 304Next Topic  

United States
36 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  3:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nycstlrr to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What is everyone's opinion about sending this one to PCGS?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1107 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Pillar of the Community
United States
819 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a solid VG to me. If it were mine I would just keep it in a 2x2 or capsule. If it were one grade higher in F-12, I would send it to be slabbed. The value in VG doesn't justify the cost of slabbing in my opinion but in F-12 it would be worth it.
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nycstlrr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will take your advice. Thank you
Pillar of the Community
United States
8423 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless a coin will be valued at 150.00, then generally this forum says the costs are too high for slabbing it.

How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71699 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely not. Personally, I put the value threshold at $300.

to the CCF!
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nycstlrr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin has more sentimental value than monetary. Grandma had a beer garden in Michigan in the 40's and this is one of the coins she received. She kept this one along with a few others and I acquired them when she passed about 15 years ago. Hopefully one of my kids will keep it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
819 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well it is a better date with a fairly low mintage.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1129 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is an attractive coin for the grade, but I'd have to agree with the consensus that from a monetary standpoint it's not worth the expense of sending to PCGS.

I have a number of coins and bills (all worn and fairly heavily circulated) which have been given to me by family members over the decades, including some Barber coins, Morgan dollars, late-issue silver certificates, and the such. Though not worth much, they all have a lot of sentimental value. My personal preference is to keep those in 2x2 holders and currency sleeves with a brief written description of where each one came from, and all these are stored in a small 3-ring binder.

And to the forum!
My U.S. Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278808/
My U.S. Classic Commemorative Complete Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278741/
My 20th Century U.S. Type Set - Proofs only, No Gold https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/co...sets/396301/
Edited by hokiefan_82
09/22/2022 9:36 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 304Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: