Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1999 Jefferson Nickel Obverse And Reverse Not Aligned

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 266Next Topic  

United States
31 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  7:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Fooltraveln to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know this one has to be a actual error. I tried to take the best picture I could to show the alignment. Hard to do in my van.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11081 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3248 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will calculate the deviation and come later with the results.
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fooltraveln to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the quick response. I got it in change at the gas station last night. What is this called rotated die?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71680 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3248 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it is call like this. You has at least 40 deg. Here in the photo you find those modern Die and hubs with theirs fit in. Not offend is find this for the most modern coins. Been an 1999, probably was strike on a few remaining old presses. Phil change all the presses in 1998 and 1999 (63 in number) and they pass from 425 max coins a min. to 750 coins a min. So this coin was strike on old vertical press before June 30, 1999.

PS In the photo Left it is the Hub and Right the working Die.
Edited by silviosi
09/22/2022 8:22 pm
Learn More...
United States
24778 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@foo, with that amount of rotation, this coin is worth saving in a 2x2. Also, you did a great job with the mirror picóway better than typical.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fooltraveln to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah it is for sure in my keeper pile. I was hoping it had enough rotation to be a actual "error" maybe even worth more than a nickel. As Silvio said it is not as common in the newer coins. I thought that was well. Also I wanted to share it cause. Well it is not a bad example of this type why not share it. Plus I was happy to find it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3248 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your rotation it is an error. More then 15 deg it is considerate error.
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fooltraveln to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Silvio
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12114 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one. Definitely a keeper.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46544 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  04:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59620 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also the working die will be sized to the correct size:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 266Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: