Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1881 S Morgan For Grade

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 791Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  10:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add eaglebub7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all. Apologies in advance for possible bad photos but, is extremely difficult to get clear images of the coin as it is so reflective. Nothing I can see, tells me it has been polished, if you see something, please say so. Cheek looks good, say for a few bag marks, same for the eagle, no major distractions I see in hand, except a few minor dings. Extra photos added in different lighting. What do y'all feel this might grade?

Valued Member
Germany
312 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HP2001PH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It has absolutely not been polished, cartwheel luster is present, flow lines are visible.

I think its a good MS-64.

That said pictures are not ideal. Have you tried natural light?
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglebub7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks HP2001, all lighting is natural, no doubt absolutely nothing doctored.
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinEnthusiast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that the scratches in the right obverse field specifically will hold this coin back to a MS-63. With that said, the reverse looks much cleaner than the obverse, so I wouldn't be too surprised if this coin graded out at MS-64.
Valued Member
Australia
474 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Watch your top knot
Pillar of the Community
United States
2438 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Solid MS-64.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1183 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  03:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got a few of these graded and this one fits the bill for MS64.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
1025 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  03:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say it's MS-64.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73334 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  06:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-65. Very nice.
Valued Member
United States
376 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericgreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-65
Pillar of the Community
United States
9944 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  07:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice--MS64+.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13322 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
typical strong strike for the year. surface preservation is about 3.5-4 out of 5 due to the obv. there is some pretty good railroad hits especially at the M in UNUM. luster 4 out 5 and eye appeal 4 out 5

the coin falls in the high MS64 low MS65 box. I think the obv holds it to MS64 with just too many marks in the fields
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglebub7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input so far. Adding additional photos shot morning natural light, at higher angle. These show the color much better.

Valued Member
United States
376 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericgreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New photos put me at MS-64. Still a lovely coin!
Edited by ericgreen
09/24/2022 10:48 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1183 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a photography tip, always photograph coins from above straight down. Lay the coin on a cork and use a blue or black card background. Lifting the coin like this allows the camera to properly focus on the coin and blurs the background. Also, play around with the direction you put your light (45 degrees works best for me) or see what it is like using day light.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25630 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks MS-64 to me.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 791Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: