Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1813 Capped Bust Half Dollar Grading Thoughts

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 498Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
185 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  09:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinEnthusiast to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's a coin that I'm considering bidding on. I know that the pictures are far from optimal, but based on these photos from the seller, what would you all estimate the grade of this bust half is? Thanks in advance for everybody's opinions!

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20337 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would have photographed much better out of the 2x2.

I see part of 'PLURIBUS' below the bust, and part of the Eagle's wing behind Lib's hair. (obv.)
Some more detail above Eagle's neck and interference detail in the value characters, - most probably top of Lib's cap. (rev.)
The owner should be well aware of these features, - they are obvious enough.

Otherwise, reasonably well struck.
AU-61.
Edited by sel_69l
09/24/2022 10:23 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73288 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me, too much of the right obverse field detail is obscured to get a solid feel on this one.
Edited by Coinfrog
09/24/2022 10:28 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2434 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Considerint toning, strike, and originality, this is a fantastic coin. This is a great example of the O-107 earlier die state. The two things that worry me are the reverse rim issues from 50C to UNITED, and the scratches on the right obverse field (may not be scratches) and above the eagle. I believe that is grafitti. Otherwise this coin appears to be AU-53 Details. I would ask for better photos.
Pillar of the Community
United States
852 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love the strong clashing! I too am at AU details.
Valued Member
United States
391 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Check collector.detector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add collector.detector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
au58 or au details - graffiti. Awesome clashing.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25630 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to say with these photos of a coin in the 2x2. From what I can see, no worse than AU-58 with a good shot at an MS grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
585 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cointagous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No one has mentioned the clashed die below the bust though that may the the Overton number mentioned. With better pictures, it
should be easier to arrive at a grade. I agree it already looks at worst an AU from what I see.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9595 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU details, scratches (but would really like to see out of the 2x2)
You should contact the seller and ask for photos out of the 2x2
If the seller balks at such a minor request for such an expensive coin, that would be a red flag to me
Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13316 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
w/paralyse
Valued Member
United States
484 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing clashing!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1633 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2022  01:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the obverse field it looks like clashing, right of the eagle's head looks like scratches. Would like pics out of the 2x2 to confirm but I am at AU58, if no details.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 498Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: