Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

George III Guinea 1768: Real Or Not?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 735Next Topic  

United Kingdom
9 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  12:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gerardmatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Dear members:

I could do with a little input. I have been buying/selling and collecting coins for a couple of years now and do a bit on e bay. I recently bought the pictured coin from what appears a reputable seller with good feedback for coins. However, when I weighed it it was over half a gram under weight and the imprint seems very fuzzy. I have researched this a bit and it seems this could happen from wear or people removing gold from the coin as opposed to counterfeiting. I would be grateful for any help with this as I do not want to open a dispute if the coin is genuine.

Edited by gerardmatt
09/24/2022 12:12 pm
United Kingdom
9 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gerardmatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple more photos:

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17110 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to see any detail from supplied pictures.
Can you take photos on a flat surface that are cropped.
We don't need the background, only the coin.
United Kingdom
9 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gerardmatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jimmy. Thanks for your response. I have scanned the coin which might be better. Also cropped as suggested.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73618 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Scans are not the best for evaluating a coin like this.

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
25501 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ger, your latest pics are definitely better, but not quite there yet. It takes time to perfect this.

Can you please describe the edge? These were reeded I believe and so if someone has clipped the edge to harvest a little gold then the reeds should be missing or at least greatly reduced. If this is a fake then the reeds might be intact and a wrong alloy would be a possible explanation for the wrong weight.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
United Kingdom
9 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gerardmatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses. I am going to try to get a better scan done in a minute. To answer Spence's question the reeding is intact all the way round. The only thing I have noticed is that the lettering around the edge of the coin has bits missing at the top. For example the roman numerals of 'George III' have the tops of the i's missing. Is it possible somebody may have shaved gold off around the edge then reinstated the reedings, but why go to the trouble for half a gram of gold? I suppose the other alternative is that it is a copy of some kind?
United Kingdom
9 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gerardmatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some better images:

Edited by gerardmatt
09/24/2022 4:40 pm
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gallienus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have only one guinea and am not experienced in looking at them. I've not seen a contemporary gold coin with this wear pattern tho. The lettering looks fully there, tho off the flan in spots. The bust is absolutely lacking in detail tho.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73618 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These seem to be the same images.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20386 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very worn condition may explain more the half gram under weight.
But so worn even if genuine, then gold value only.
To confirm 22 ct gold, XRF test required.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 735Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: