Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

An Upgrade To My Tiberius

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 626Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
812 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  1:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MartiVltori to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My previous Tiberius in my Imperial Rome collection was one of the first Roman coins I ever bought a very long time ago. It was a Caesar issue and not very attractive.

I have finally upgraded this and it came today. Pretty happy with it.

AR Denarius, A.D. 22 - 30, Lugdunum, 18.5mm, 3.38g, 90, RIC I 26, RSC 16.
Obv: TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVSTVS. Laureate head right
Rev: PONTIF MAXIM. Livia, as Pax, seated right on throne, holding long scepter & olive branch.

Here was the coin I previously had in there:

Edited by MartiVltori
09/27/2022 1:32 pm
Learn More...
United States
118210 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1195 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely coin. Very characterful portrait.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20337 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very significant upgrade. Congrats !
Pillar of the Community
United States
996 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say that's an excellent upgrade.

One of my first coins was of Tiberius as well. In my case, I didn't even know that I actually purchased a Drachm. When I couldn't find a complete attribution, I found out the difference between my coin and a Denarius. Therefore, I am still on the look out for a coin like yours.

Edited by travelcoin
09/27/2022 7:16 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20337 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  03:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tiberius Mount Argaeus drachms of Cappodocia are scarcer than tribute pennies, but they are less well known.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
4063 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  05:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll have to check, but I don't think I have a Tiberius in my Roman collection yet; AFAIK out of the 12 Caesars I only have Caligula (provincial), Claudius, Galba, and I think maybe one of the Flavians but not very sure. Hopefully I'll manage to get something, but Tiberius coins are in high demand.
Come to think of it, I also have a low-grade Divus Augustus bronze - not sure what to count it under...

@MartiVitori - your other Tiberius coin looks very interesting! What is it supposed to say, is it silver or bronze, and what does the patterned box thing mean?
[EDIT: some googling tells me it's an "altar of the three Gauls in Lugdunum". Never heard of it before. Definitely an intriguing issue!]
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
841 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Superb portrait of Tiberius.
Valued Member
United States
356 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpeedDemonND to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a nice-looking upgrade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
812 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MartiVltori to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
January, yes alter with victories on colimns. ET AVG in the exurge.
Pillar of the Community
United States
686 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice "tribute penny"
Valued Member
United States
253 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2022  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! Thank you!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 626Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: