Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Freedom! NGC Graded 1909-S Indian Head Cent Is Ready For My Dansco!

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,938Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3771 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, I would have never thought of jbuck as someone that would do a 'vise-job' on one of his coins!
ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
9069 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if you had any shards of plastic fly off, but I do when using the old hammer or heavy duty dyke cutters like I use, I'd place a towel over the coin as you crank the clamp, at least wear safety glasses!

A nice un-entombment piece jbuck!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), Civil Wat Token Society (CWTS), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member in good standing, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Learn More...
United States
118221 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm still a confirmed "slab lover".
I do love my PCGS Ike set, no doubt, but this particular Dansco album dates back over thirty years. I cannot quit now!

Quote:
Hope you are gonna save the label though.
For now I will keep it in an envelope in one of my OGP storage boxes. Not sure if I want to tape it inside the Dansco or not.

Quote:
Not sure if you had any shards of plastic fly off,
Every bit of plastic was contained inside the paper towel wrapping. There was one chunk (I believe between cycles 4 and 5) that I removed before I re-wrapped.

Thank you all for the comments.
Valued Member
United States
447 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice break out. Even nicer coin! Congrats on filling that hole.

I've used a similar method to yours as well as clipping the edge method. Both worked just fine and didn't damage the coin.
Learn More...
United States
118221 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... didn't damage the coin.
I found that the rubber insert is quite protective of the coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9069 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Every bit of plastic was contained inside the paper towel wrapping. There was one chunk (I believe between cycles 4 and 5) that I removed before I re-wrapped.

DOH! I even looked at the photo of it wrapped too. But still a good point y'all don't want plastic shards in your eyes - ever! I've bled before when cracking slabs.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), Civil Wat Token Society (CWTS), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member in good standing, 2 variety collector.

Learn More...
United States
118221 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I even looked at the photo of it wrapped too.

And paper towels are better becuase you can toss them. Never, ever use your spouse's good towels.

Quote:
I've bled before when cracking slabs.

A lesson for the kids! Safety first.
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ElmerFlick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My preferred method is clamping the slab in a vise with the coin well below the top of the vice jaws and using the jaws as a top guide for a hand hacksaw. Do this for 3 sides and you can usually pull the coin out without too much effort and without a 4th cut. Just be careful not to drop it on the floor!

ElmerFlick
Pillar of the Community
United States
9069 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Never, ever use your spouse's good towels.

No more spouse, I traded her to keep my coin collection.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2458 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I decided to try the delicate approach

Nicely done!
Learn More...
United States
118221 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My preferred method is clamping the slab in a vise with the coin well below the top of the vice jaws and using the jaws as a top guide for a hand hacksaw...
That was an option I considered, but I do not have a bench vise at home. I do have one at the office, but I work from home now. I was going in one day a week over the summer... so maybe if I had bought it sooner?

Quote:
No more spouse, I traded her to keep my coin collection.

Quote:
Nicely done!
Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
686 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good idea. A C clamp is a good way to free the coin. I've used my band saw.
Edited by livingwater
09/29/2022 2:32 pm
Learn More...
United States
118221 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I figured if SPP could open a PCGS slab with his bare hands, I could use some amplified pressure to do the same with NGC!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2596 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Check robbudo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add robbudo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks good. Sweet outcome and kudos to being brave. I'm not sure if I'll try this or my trusty Dremel attachment which I usually use next time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9318 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome addition to your collection. Congrats. I also like the story-like quality of this thread as well as the how-to aspect of it.

Btw, last slab I broke out, I used my mitre saw box. Lots of fine plastic bits all over the place but it worked great. Your method seems to save a lot of wear and tear on tools.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
My coin e-commerce website:https://nummumcoins.com
Let me build your coin e-commerce website: https://nummumcoins.com/ur-site/
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,938Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: