Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1955 Arnprior Dollar.why?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 513Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
872 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  05:52 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was just absentmindedly looking at dollar coins and came across the 1955 Arnprior dollar, of which there are two varieties. Why is it called Arnprior? I don't see anything on it that's different from the old courier de bois dollar. Also, why Arnprior...it's a nice enough spot but fairly undistinguished.

These are my 6 AM thoughts and questions...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2305 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  06:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver and Nickel Dollars are not my thing however I do believe that one of the companies from Arnprior specially ordered these dollars from the mint and I think some of those dollars had an extra water line. If you type in Arnprior Dollar on the search tab you may find the exact answer you are looking for.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17010 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 1955, the owner of Playtex, a manufacturing company in Arnprior Ont. decided to pay his employees a Christmas bonus in silver dollars. Needing 2000 and as there were not that many available at the time, he contacted the Minister of Finance who oddly enough authorized the minting of an additional 2000 silver dollars. As this was a special run, the mint used the last set of dies that were available which had been polished thus accounting for the 1 1/2 water lines. These became known as "Arnprior" dollars. As these dies had already produced about 3000 coins, it is estimated that there are about 5000 minted. Since then, any other year that had 1 1/2 waterlines have become known as an Arnprior although a true Arnprior only applies to the 1955 version.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6114 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey that's great info JimmyD
Pillar of the Community
United States
585 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cointagous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are there varieties of these where some have a die break while others don't? Was trying to learn more about these but am unable to find any numismatic reference.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17010 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, there is a variety that has a die break between the T and I in the word GRATIA.
These command a higher premium than the regular Arnprior.

Edited by JimmyD
09/28/2022 09:49 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
585 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cointagous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Jimmy.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 513Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: