Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1999-P Connecticut State Quarter Die Crack Obv

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 549Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
165 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  12:46 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Aref to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone. I came across a quarter with lines on it that do not look like scratches or damages to me. It really looks like a die crack. There are two lines that I'm trying to figure out on this coin. One line at the bottom of the obverse looks like a scratch, but the one on the right of the obverse of the quarter looks like a die crack to me. Would appreciate it if others would share their thoughts on the coin. Thanks.

Learn More...
United States
25418 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  03:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@aref, I was actually thinking that these were both die cracks.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
165 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  06:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aref to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow.I don't have better pictures to share otherwise I would. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I wish more people would share their thoughts, because I really get to learn a lot when people comment on my posts.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2488 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  07:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice cracks! The one at the base of the bust seems to be a weak spot on quarters, I've seen these quite often. I cannot tell if the crack on the east side of the coin makes it from rim to rim. It looks like it might be just short of the rim, on the south side, otherwise, it would be a pre-cud. There is one listed for the Connecticut quarter but is different from yours. LINK http://cuds-on-coins.com/washington-quarter-rcd/
-makecents-
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47386 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Between 1 and 4 o'clock is a die crack as of now,not rim-to-rim. When/if it goes rim to rim it becomes a pre-cud, if and when an actual cud happens.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
904 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can not say for sure but is that another crack, bottom area under charter?
Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
165 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aref to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@oddguy, I'm not sure if it's a crack or not. Once the coin gets delivered to me I'll send more pics of that area.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1597 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If when you check out Cudsoncoins like makecents suggest.
Check on Spike Head section. # SKH-25c-1999P-01(CT)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60360 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Liberty is showing Machine Doubling on that area. Die event of die aging. (2 die cracks) Note how they coin was not in circulation long as the die cracks haven't worn off the tops of the affected devices? (All clues to the trained eyes)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
165 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aref to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coop, I was looking for DDO when I found the MD on the liberty, and then I realized the scratch on the right side of the obverse is not a scratch.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9948 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die cracks and Machine Doubling, yes.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12178 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 549Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: