Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1971 S Quarter Do You Know Of Any Known Errors For The S Quarter I Just Picked It Up At A Gas Statio

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 634Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
605 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  01:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add prisbrey1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
do any of you know if there are any known errors with a 1971 S quarter this is my first run in with one so I wasnt sure what to look for I did plan on asking a question about the revers of the coin are those round indent thigs on thtips of the wings that kind of look like eyes are they supposed to be there

Pillar of the Community
United States
1004 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  04:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Errors are not year and mint specific, they can happen in any year, any mint, any denomination. I don't see anything unusual about this quarter other than very heavy circulation. Your picture doesn't show the date, but if it is 1971 then it is a very impaired proof coin, as no 1971 S business strike quarters were struck.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2172 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the more a coin gets worn and damaged in circulation, the tougher it is to determine errors

if this one's indeed dated 1971, that's probably the most circulated proof coin I've ever seen
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60440 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Put it back to work. The coin was altered post strike. Never have a premium. It is now a cull coin. Hard to believe now, that it was a proof coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
09/29/2022 11:34 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
605 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prisbrey1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
its really a 71 I just picked it up the other day from the gas station but here is a better pic of the date
Pillar of the Community
United States
1004 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  04:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting for the fact that it is such a circulated proof.
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DiscoLover82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that quarter looks more worn than most '71s I've seen and it was even a proof. I'd keep it just for the curiosity value of such a circulated proof coin. I've come across a couple of impaired proofs in my day - but none this worn!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3658 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First is no add premium for any circulate proof coins so is just face value (except precious metal coins).
Second: Quarters varieties by design, approx. 44 varieties.
Third: Errors are fund in all the minting years, at https://www.errors.com you can count them if you has time to do. (many kind of errors)
Pillar of the Community
United States
605 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prisbrey1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what do you mean impaired proof and I was going to hang on to it like you said I figured from what you guys said from earlier that there isn't any premium but its still neat
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17088 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An impaired proof is a proof coin that has been circulated.
Proofs were not meant for circulation so any value it had
as a proof is now negated. Just worth face value now.

Correct typo
Edited by JimmyD
09/30/2022 3:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
605 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prisbrey1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so are proofs worth more than face value and how muvh more I always thought it was the other way around
Pillar of the Community
United States
1004 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  04:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It all depends on the coin and condition. That one is worth face value, one still in the proof set and undamaged would have some value. Some years proof coins are worth more than uncirculated, sometimes the other way around. You really should pick up a RedBook, all kinds of information in there.
Pillar of the Community
United States
605 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  04:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prisbrey1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok thank you and where do I get a Red Book how much are they and I went to school with a cutler your not from out west are you
Pillar of the Community
United States
1004 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  07:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, easterner all my life! You can get a RedBook from Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Book-U...2C91&sr=8-1, or any hobby shop or book store.
Edited by lcutler
10/01/2022 07:32 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
605 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prisbrey1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok thank you I will check it out
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 634Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: