Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Completing My Grandmother's Coin Book

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 673Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  12:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add beautifupineapu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all. I have a big inheritance of mostly my Grandmother's coins that were handed down to my Father, who was very much into this hobby as well, who passed them to me when he passed away. It's the sort of thing I wish I would have spent more time learning and understanding but most importantly bonding with them while they were here. They were both heavy smokers and in the end he didn't take very great care of the entire collection, and whatever part of the collection he did store in the safe, he stored improperly.

Either way, I'm diving back into the hobby with the goal of containing everything either in rolls or flips and finish what my grandmother started by incorporating her loose flips that looked like she planned to add them but stopped when her first grandchild was born. Looks like she almost stopped doing flips completely after I was born cause they stop around 1982. I'm pretty sure I have enough years or each penny nickel and dime up until the year they died in 2006 so that's my plan.

Long read but thank you for looking, I can't wait to start showing more of what I've found so far. Still have a ton of questions!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
263 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi beautifupineapu,
First, I'm sorry for you about your losses.
Going through an inherited collection can be very much a challenge. You've come to the right forum to consult with experts who are willing to help you.
I've found that 2X2 coin holders are an excellent way to store coins. You can put them in a 3-ring binder or in boxes designed for storing them.
If you go the 2X2 route, it is worth your money and time to invest in a flat-clinch stapler. I just bought a Max HD50DFBK for $20 online and it is a champ. Very sturdy and works like a champ.
Best wishes,
Hondo
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47386 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

100% pure acetone, not standard nail polish remover might help with the cig smoke, but post a few pics of the coins before you do anything to them. As a general rule, never clean coins.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoffeeTime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

A John mentioned, a dip an acetone will get rid of the smoke. You'll want to keep it fresh to not have the dissolved gunk on you coin after it drys.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
22887 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
A cultivated person is a citizen of the world*
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add beautifupineapu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the warm welcome and replies. Mostly everything is protected in either Dansco and Whitman albums. A few coins in the dansco albums have small oxidation from the clear protector not fully covering the coin, and they're silver coins so I won't want to even mess with them. I don't believe I'll need to take the acetone route but if I have to is it just a quick dip for a second then pull it out? I understand how the acetone will sort of soak up the tar but I'm assuming just a quick dip and air dry? Maybe change the acetone when it starts getting yellow/brown?
Another forum suggested distilled water for dirty pennies that were incorrectly stored in an old 1909-138 Oberwise card. The card is falling apart and under a microscope the coins have all sorts of dirt and dust but are in basically maybe in G condition or lower. Nothing really stands out in terms of luster.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5084 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
118314 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3465 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 673Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: