Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit Mercury Dimes On Ebay

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,581Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
588 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  1:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can someone help in getting these removed:

1921-D: 225181454684
1919-S: 225182153606
1925-S: 325360681534
1917-S: 325360109013
1938-S: 325363718909

I think there are others too. All are listed by "rshilkowski".

Thank you!
Pillar of the Community
United States
588 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sent them a msg:
Hello. I collect Mercury dimes. This 21-D, as well as the 17-S, 19-S, 25-s, and 27-p you have for sale all appear to be counterfeit! Where did you get these coins? Please pay close attention to the shape of the "9" in the date! All these early dates should have an open "9" and these are closed. There are other indications these are fakes, such as the shape of liberty's lips compared to a genuine Mercury dime.

This was the response:
These are not counterfeit l have been collecting now for 40years and I buy and sell coins all day long

wow, a tad bit cocky don't ya think?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1147 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
one_fine_dime; before (if) these are pulled from eBay, could you explain what looks 'wrong' with these coins? I'm in no way a Mercury dime 'pro', so I can't see what is going on. Is the wrong font being used? Do the bands on the reverse look too 'good' for the otherwise circulated coins?

I, and I think others, would like to be educated. Thanks!

PS:Saw your answer AFTER I posted this note

PSS: You are correct about the nines. I just checked mine and all are gapped.
Edited by atticguy
09/30/2022 2:30 pm
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How many reports does eBay have to get before they take down a listing? I've more or less given up reporting after seeing that they don't even bother taking down listings that have been brought to their attention where a violation of their policies was not even in question (ex: seller listing a replica of a chain cent that they acknowledged was not real in the header of their listing but didn't have it indicated anywhere on the coin). Between that and getting incorrectly charged for sales tax on coin purchases more often than not, I'm close to being done with them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4492 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ebay doesn't care.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17088 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I reported 5 of them, 2 only have a couple of hours left so there is not enough time left to have removed.
Hopefully they will be gone sometime tomorrow.

Thanks one_fine-dime for catching these.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
one_fine_dime, I reported the seller and each of the auctions except the 1938-S. The closed 9 on the earlier ones is a giant red flag. What should I be seeing on the 38-S that would clue me in?
Thank you for your time and bringing this issue to us.
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nycstlrr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ebay only cares about how much money they can make their stockholders now. Nothing like it was when I started over 20 years ago.

Thanks for the info on the Mercury's. I never knew.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17088 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Been removed thanks to CCF and nss-52 for there quick response.
Edited by JimmyD
09/30/2022 5:37 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73559 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done guys.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately for this buyer, eBay did not take action quickly enough.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/325360109013
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17088 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's because the listing ran out before it could be reported.
I think that being reported and removed in less than an hour is pretty good.
Edited by JimmyD
09/30/2022 7:49 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73559 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's for sure, great job.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
22063 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How many reports does eBay have to get before they take down a listing?

One, if it's the right one.

Quote:
Ebay doesn't care.

Well, they're gone.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4492 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW. That was a lot of listings. I would think the seller should be banned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1118 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks team Bobby & crew!
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,581Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: