Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1926-S Mercury Dime For Grading Opinions

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 826Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4162 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  6:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I sent this one to PCGS earlier this year. What would you grade her? I'll post their grade in a couple days.

Pillar of the Community
United States
9329 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
65 - 97% FB
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
My coin e-commerce website:https://nummumcoins.com
Let me build your coin e-commerce website: https://nummumcoins.com/ur-site/
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinEnthusiast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse has a few more contact marks than I would probably expect on a gem coin, so I'll say MS-64+. As for the FSB designation, I'm no expert, but on the middle set of bands, I don't think there is full separation, so I would guess that this coin didn't qualify as a FSB example.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25630 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks MS-65 to me. Not FSB.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9944 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS65 works for me.
Valued Member
Canada
353 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS65 - 66
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13322 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in the MS65 no FSB box
Edited by panzaldi
10/01/2022 09:46 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1264 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At least a 64...she's a beauty!
smat
Pillar of the Community
United States
4743 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-65 with a coin flip on FSB. I've seen plenty in FSB holders that don't really meet the technical definition.
Pillar of the Community
United States
766 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64 with a chance at FSB. As Fenton says, I've seen many in FSB holders with bands worse than this coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
588 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice specimen here for sure Zurie! Great strike, borderline full bands!
To me it looks like it was dipped at some point, not that this will effect PCGS's opinion per se. Seems like some impaired luster in the fields and not sure if the devices are fully lustrous. I'm guessing PCGS graded this anywhere between AU58 and MS63.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13322 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i just had to look at this one again. something was bothering me about the grades here. the neck is looking like it has some light wear on it and the glare may be overriding some of the surfaces especially on the reverse. I'm going to change my grade to AU58. I hope it came back MS for you Zurie but I think its borderline MS
Pillar of the Community
United States
2438 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First impression was MS-64. I noticed there aren't any heavy contact marks or distracting points, so I think it can make an MS-65.

Wonderful photos!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4162 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the reveal. There are a few scattered light hairlines on the neck and a tiny rim dent on the obverse at 11:00, so I think 65 would have been a stretch even with the excellent luster. But I was hoping for a FSB designation. Admittedly it's borderline, but I think it could have gone either way.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1050 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
panzaldi gets humbled again... I know, I know, your fail-safe is it's photos
Pillar of the Community
United States
588 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm very much humbled NumismaticsFTW!

Zurie- glad to see PCGS graded this MS64! That is a rare beauty!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 826Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: