Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are These 1963 Nickels Really Worth Something?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 857Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  12:29 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Leilei4673 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I save my change. I have for quite a long time. Anyway, as I was getting ready to turn them in for cash when my friend who was helping me said some of the change I had is worth money is there anybody who can help me figure out if they are worth anything. I have 3 1963 Jefferson nickels with no letter and the edges are raised up
Pillar of the Community
United States
2438 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  02:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures are the best way to go, post them if you can. From your description, it sounds like basic face value nickels.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47386 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  03:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1967 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  05:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, the 1963 nickels were minted in Philadelphia or Denver and are both very common so only a general face value applies here. If a Denver mintmark, the D would be on the reverse to the right of the building Monticello, and blank if Philadelphia. The mintmark position did not get changed to the obverse until 1968 with the years 1965-1967 inclusive bearing no mintmark at all.

Oh yeah, those 1963 nickels would have to be in superb condition to be wirth something...
Edited by mrwhatisit
10/01/2022 05:59 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73353 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  07:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't sound promising.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9948 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  08:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would be cool to see a few photos--full and sharp.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2149 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a dryer coin could fit that description, it would be a damaged coin and damaged coins have no premium value
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12178 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Check Dearborn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Any pictures you can provide would be helpful. I have a HUGE imagination - and I can imagine these coins being worth a plug nickel to millions (remember I have a very big imagination)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
22888 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
A cultivated person is a citizen of the world*
Valued Member
United States
468 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In general, modern coins like the 1963 nickel can potentially have some value but its only typically the rare highest grades that have that value while your everyday pocket change finds are worth a nickel or only slightly more. There are also errors and varieties but this is a more specialized area that requires some time to learn.
With a 1963 nickel, in addition to being in a mint state (uncirculated) it also would be even more valuable if it had full steps on the reverse. The steps of Monticello on a Jefferson nickel are often weakly struck on circulation issues (i.e., Mint State issues). Coins that have more sharply struck steps are more desired by collectors, who term these coins "full steps." While the top graded example of a 1963 is worth $550, a full steps version could be worth $4,500. Note these are rare finds and most do not have either that grade or full steps. https://www.ngccoin.com/news/articl...eps-nickels/ and https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide.../nickels/25/

The description you give might be a dryer coin which is just damage, but once you eventually figure out how to post photos here others will help verify that. https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...g-images.asp
Edited by datadragon
10/01/2022 11:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8460 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  05:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF. Likely with only 5 cents each.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Learn More...
United States
118320 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 857Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: