Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: What If? 1937 George Washington At Morristown, NJ

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 675Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8519 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  09:35 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
On January 6. 1777, General George Washington led his troops into Morristown, NJ; his intent was to establish a camp and provide his troops with a secure place to rest and get through the Winter months. Washington's troops had just completed successful battles against the British at Trenton (December 26, 1776) and Princeton (January 3, 1777) and would definitely benefit from rest. The American victories had forced the British to retreat back toward New York, which helped provide the needed rest opportunity.

To mark the 160th anniversary of the Morristown camp, Arthur Harry Moore (D-NJ) introduced a bill in the Senate in May 1936 that called for "50-cent pieces in commemoration of the one hundred and sixtieth anniversary of the arrival of General Washington and the Continental Army at Morristown, New Jersey, after their inspiring victories at Trenton and Princeton, and the establishment of cantonments in Morristown for the duration of the war."

Moore's bill sought 10,000 half dollars of standard specification for the benefit of the Coinage Committee of the Morristown National Historical Park Celebration Committee. The Committee was to use net proceeds from the sale of the coins "in furtherance of said celebration, the acquisition of land for the building of a boulevard connecting Fort Nonsense Park and the cantonment area of the Morristown National Historical Park, and other said committee projects." (Note: "Cantonment" refers to a military garrison or camp.)

The bill was non-specific in terms of the number of Mint facilities that could be used, the date/year to appear on the coins and the minimum order size for the coins. Also, no expiration of coining authority was defined. All red flags for the Senate Committee on Banking and Currency to which it was referred.

The Committee was in favor of commemorating the anniversary, but not in using a US coin to do so. It reported the bill with a recommendation to strike commemorative medals rather than coins, while doing so, it also raised the mintage to 25,000 vs. the 10,000 half dollars requested. The report came very late in the session, however, and the Senate did not have time to take up the amended bill before the 74th Congress adjourned. With adjournment, the bill died.

Senator Moore introduced the coin bill again in January 1937, upon the opening of the first session of 75th Congress. The bill was referred to the Committee on Banking and Currency, but was never reported out for further consideration (either as a coin bill or medal bill). The lack of action meant the 1937 bill would ultimately suffer the same fate as the 1936 bill, and fail for lack of action.

I would have welcomed a commemorative medal for this one. IMO, it's an ideal event for a commemorative medal - a nice blend of local history with relevance to US history on a national level.

If you'd like to learn more about the Morristown encampment site and the Continental Army troops that used it, check out the National Park Service web site: Morristown National Historical Park.

For more of my posts about commemorative coins and medals, including other What If? stories, see: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73521 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't deny the suitability of the subject, but 160th anniversary?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3283 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A Classic it Would of Been..........................
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1287 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, commems, for the interesting "What If" story. I'm with Coinfrog, however; while a suitable topic, marking the 160th anniversary is a bit unusual unless there was particular symbolism to that as with, for example, the 38th anniversary commemorative marking the end of the Korean War. A 150th anniversary commemorative may have been more appropriate and possibly had a better chance of succeeding considering the timing of this effort...
My U.S. Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278808/
My U.S. Classic Commemorative Complete Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278741/
My 20th Century U.S. Type Set - Proofs only, No Gold https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/co...sets/396301/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8519 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that a 160th anniversary is an unusual one - to say the least!

I tend to believe that the 1937 coinage date had more to do with the 1937 completion of the Washington Headquarters Museum at the Morristown site, with the 160th anniversary being a secondary, but convenient, "excuse" vs. a standalone milestone.

The HQ Museum was the first to be constructed by the National Park Service - it was designed by architect John Russell Pope. At the time he was working on the Washington Headquarters Museum (1935-37), Pope had just completed the National Archives Building (1933-35) and would later go on to design the National Galley of Art (1938-41) and Jefferson Memorial (1939-42), all in Washington DC. For the HQ Museum building, Pope took inspiration from George Washington's Mount Vernon (his home in Virginia).

Washington Headquarters Museum - Morristown Historical Park

(Image Credit: National Park Service. Public Domain.)

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1287 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, that would make sense then. Thanks!
My U.S. Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278808/
My U.S. Classic Commemorative Complete Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278741/
My 20th Century U.S. Type Set - Proofs only, No Gold https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/co...sets/396301/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8537 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  05:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great read commems - thank you.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8519 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@All: Thanks for the engagement and positive feedback! Always appreciated!

Learn More...
United States
118475 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting!

Quote:
I tend to believe that the 1937 coinage date had more to do with the 1937 completion of the Washington Headquarters Museum at the Morristown site, with the 160th anniversary being a secondary, but convenient, "excuse" vs. a standalone milestone.
Sounds plausible.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 675Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: