Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opening A Direct Fit Type Coin Holder

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 477Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  10:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jack316 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello to everyone. I haven't been active here for several years due to health issues. Is there a closely held secret method to open a direct fit type, coin holder? I'm talking about the round clear plastic holders that have a top and bottom. Some of them screw on or off, most don't. I think they are mostly used for odd coins that don't fit in an album My reason for asking is that I want to replace those holders with Coin Snap type holders which are square and easier to organize. The round ones work well but they have a tendency to roll around and are less convenient to store. Any help is appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
United States
698 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the push on type, there is a seam around the edge. Some use a fingernail, small knife, dental tool to start loosening in the seam, but be careful not to cut your finger or damage the coin inside. For capsules that are tight, work your way around the capsule prying a bit all the way around. If you try to do it all at once in just one spot the capsule may crack/break which might scratch the coin.
Edited by livingwater
10/01/2022 10:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1075 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A pocket knife does the trick.
Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack316 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Livingwater - Thanks so much for your help. I was really hoping there might be a "secret" way to open these easily. Alas, like most things patience and focus are the requirements. I just have so many of these circular holders (commems, foreign issues, etc.) that I'm not looking forward to inching my way around the circumference of all of these coins. Your help is a blessing and I thank you for taking the time to share your ideas. Jack
Pillar of the Community
United States
770 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  02:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chipjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just take a pair of pliers and on the edge and squeeze until
It cracks. So far I have not scratched any but that may be
Just luck.
Valued Member
United States
356 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  02:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpeedDemonND to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A pocket knife does the trick for me as well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8521 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A pocket knife does the trick for me as well.

My preferred method as well, but any thin-bladed knife should do the trick. Good luck!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 477Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: