Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1966 Lincoln Memorial Cent Mint Error - Textured Die Dent

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 849Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4833 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  01:09 am Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There are a lot of die dents out there, like they were regularly mishandling the things, but far fewer textured die dents. And this one is pretty striking in the actual level of detail involved. Those striations as super clear, and what, maybe 0.1mm wide? Anyway, this is a raised bit on the coin, looks pretty cool, and may not be alone as it does seem like there is a hint of more to the lower left of the E.

1966 Lincoln Memorial cent mint error - textured die dent

Pillar of the Community
United States
1529 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  02:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like this, nice find! Looks like a column almost or some sort of wayward device. Maybe a hint by the upper curve on S too?
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47474 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  04:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
25486 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  06:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have not seen this before @tb. I wonder what object created this pattern on the dieómaybe the knurled handle of a small screwdriver?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10035 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  07:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool. Perhaps 'lost nickel steps'. Just kidding.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73567 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting, nice closeup!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47474 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A struck through handle would leave an indent and that looks raised.
John1
Pillar of the Community
United States
3476 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love these "odd" Die events.

I initially thought the same as Coinhi about the columns but it looks as if the anomaly has more lines than a column would have. (Even SMS seem to have only two raised lines in the columns.)

Could it be feeder finger die scrapes?
North to south on the upper reverse is the normal location for it with wheats so it seems like it would be there for memorials as well.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5633 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO it's the result of having been struck from clashed dies.
There's a weaker version at the lower left of the "E".

And look at the space between the "D" and the "S".
Additional evidence.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47474 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What on the obverse die looks like that "thing" that would have transferred to the reverse die from a die clash?
John1
Pillar of the Community
United States
3476 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with John1.

Even a counter clash of some columns wouldn't match this anomaly.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4833 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  10:48 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree that a clash or counter clash would not seem to fit here. Also the detail of the texture just seems more sharp and fine than anything on either side of the coin. I might give Ray a ping and see if he'd be interested in doing a 3D of it as it should look pretty cool with that technique.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60440 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel this was another die glancing dropped onto this die. Thus making the scraping lines we see. The fields are the outside edge of the die, thus the devices are deeper into the die, thus just the fields were affected.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2495 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool looking and would love to see some pics from Ray on this one.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
2174 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
there's a hint of the same design between the bottom of the T and E, and it's about as far away from the primary anomaly as the distance between Memorial columns, all of which make me think "hmmm"
Pillar of the Community
United States
1203 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting. I had thought what Pete did "Could it be feeder finger die scrapes? " but on Wheat cent I've seen those seem to be more from the north to south directly above the head. New designs seem to have from angle seen here. Any information out there on mint set up in terms of how the feeders were aligned to sweep coins into/out of dies during early memorials minting?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 849Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: