Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1923 Peace Dollar; Acetone Bath Or Leave It?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 706Next Topic  
Valued Member

Italy
453 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  09:37 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I haven't done this before. I am kind of curious to see how it goes... Thoughts? Or leave it?

Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What goal do you have in mind by washing it in acetone? To me the toning looks gorgeous and I don't think the acetone will remove it.
Edited by captainmandrake1
10/02/2022 09:47 am
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jerry Picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
X marks the spot. I would use acetone to, at least, remove any tape residue.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4162 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would also use acetone to get rid of any tape residue. The yellowing is probably toning, since it's mostly in protected areas that weren't in direct contact with the tape.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73334 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone certainly won't hurt it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47386 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
Italy
453 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you everyone. So, there isn't much tape residue that I can feel or see under magnification; slightly grainy to touch . . . @captain makes a good point which I considered...you don't see yellow tone on these very often.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9944 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone is your friend--almost always...
Valued Member
Italy
453 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After looking at the coin under my better magnifier and feeling the surface with clean hands... I realized it did have quite a bit of surface gunk...it was a good coin to practice with acetone...

After images below...

Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a lot of the gold toning was tape residue.
Valued Member
Italy
453 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@captain, yeah. From the market where I bought it hope, I had a quick look . . . turned out my initial post was wrong; nearly all tape residue. I didn't pay much . . . and Peace dollars with a tape stained X are rarer than ones without :)
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still a nice looking coin!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73334 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At least it's a common date. Pretty much a bullion tracker.
Edited by Coinfrog
10/03/2022 7:34 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13322 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
anytime you have residue like that its a tough call. the coin would detail either way. if you remove it then your can see the results. you have no way of knowing whats underneath but the coin is better without the tape on it over the long term. maybe a heavy pocket piece will help dull those areas and even it out.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 706Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: