Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1828 Matron Head Cent

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 686Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
205 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  10:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KerryKz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked this up off of eBay a while back and was just wondering opinions on it. All my other earlier coppers are a darker brown or red brown... Guessing this has been cleaned quite a bit. The third pic really shows the color well

Pillar of the Community
United States
1963 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Id say VG-8 details cleaned, low grade, but a hole filler at that.

Also a large date at that...
Edited by mrwhatisit
10/04/2022 10:16 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13314 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VG details (pretty harshly cleaned)

as long as you knew the coin was cleaned and did not overpay for it
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73270 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree badly cleaned. Hope you didn't pay too much for it.
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KerryKz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was so long ago I couodnt remember how much I picked it up for. $14 total. I can live with that
Pillar of the Community
United States
1039 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin is harshly cleaned.

I'm not sure why someone would buy this, regardless of how cheap it was.

My advice is buy nice coins.
Edited by NumismaticsFTW
10/04/2022 5:14 pm
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i think this is an 1828 n-7. the n-7 has a die crack from star 12 to the date that I cant see in the picture. r-3. 200-500 estimated survivors.

surfaces were damaged during cleaning. vg details.

@numismaticsftw - people buy these things because they are cool. its not that hard to understand. conditional gatekeeping is silly. this cost about as much as a big mac.
i like large cents. I currently have >225 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Edited by CarrsCoins
10/04/2022 1:01 pm
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KerryKz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numismatic... Super great advice!!! Let me just go look and see how many great condition 1800s cents I can afford. Hmmm. My bank account says 0. Guess I'll just get out of your daddys rich money only hobby. Or wait. Maybe its fun for me without your approval. #128537;
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
these things can actually be pretty accessible if you are willing to be patient. a problem free 28 n-7 in vg will run you less than $50. you could probably find a vf20 for under $100 with a bit of searching.

Numismaticsftw isn't wrong about trying to find problem free examples. that part is good advice. over the long term I am always be happier about those pieces.

there are several varieties of large cent where this coin would be the highest grade known and a few more where a damaged vg is in the top 10 known. if this were an 1822 N-14 for example it would be the 4th finest known and a 5 figure coin.
i like large cents. I currently have >225 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Edited by CarrsCoins
10/04/2022 3:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1039 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not saying they aren't kool, but just about everyone graduates from buying these types of coins.

I'm trying to speed up the process.

Buy a nice type example, there's plenty of these in nice condition for relatively cheap.

**Carrs-I just seen your newest reply, thanks for backing me up
Edited by NumismaticsFTW
10/04/2022 5:02 pm
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ive been collecting coins for a bit more than 30 years and a full time dealer for a bit more than 10. I will never graduate from low grade damaged coins. they are just plain fun.

you really cant discount large cents because of their poor condition. if this large cent were a different die marriage a coin like this could be a significant find. if it were the previously mentioned 1822 n-14 id be trying to give OP $10k. a 1795 S-79 in that condition is probably a half million dollar coin.

my profile pic is such a coin. the 1800 lm-5 half dime is holed, bent, ag details. its also the only example of the die marriage. its literally the finest known example of the coin

@Kerrykz - dont stress people beating up on your coins. its what coin collectors do. coins dont have to be perfect to be cool and they dont have to make you money to be good value. joy and entertainmnet are worth a lot. have fun!
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KerryKz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's good.. I was in a whole mood yesterday cause my phone gave up on life.. I actually have found myself leaning towards getting really dirty messed up coins. Seeing what they clean up (gently lol) to look like. But register and junk drawer finds are great
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13314 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I actually have found myself leaning towards getting really dirty messed up coins.

if you learn how to clean them up properly and how to read the surface under the gunk you can find some very good deals. a F details early 1800's copper is still worth good $$ if you find the right date
Pillar of the Community
United States
2432 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I will never graduate from low grade damaged coins. they are just plain fun.

I agree, especially what coin it is. I aim for XF+ coins, but every once in a while I come across a better variety or something alike that would make the lower grade certainly worth the purchase no matter what. You can show off and handle a lower grade coin. I would be sweating profusely handling a $5,000 uncirculated coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25630 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VG-8 details, cleaned.
Learn More...
United States
16474 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in the VG details camp, harshly cleaned unfortunately.
I bought some old bank coin envelopes from the 50's that contain sulpher. I place coins like this in there and forget about them for about a year or so. Tone back fairly decent. That cleaned copper color gets darker.
swcoin.ecrater.com
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 686Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: