Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grading Help Requested - 1897-O Half Dollar - Possible Damage And Repair

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 556Next Topic  
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  8:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 1949-S to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I acquired this 1897-O Barber half dollar in an eBay auction but after receipt and inspection I think I might have to return it. If you examine the photos you'll see what I'll call an "imperfection" on the obverse rim at about 7:00. Something has happened here (I think) but the repair job, if there was one, is pretty darn good. I want to have PCGS grade this coin assuming it isn't going to come back with a "Details" grade. By then I will have lost my ability to return the coin plus the cost of the PCGS submission. Can you help?. Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73288 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say VG-08, don't over-complicate it.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2434 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a simple rim bump with some circulation wear that smoothed things out. I think it will straight grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5960 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Solid for VG-08, could score a 10. I don't think the rim issue is enough to cause a details grade. Surfaces look original.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6617 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  03:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't worry about it. Nice and original coin. Minor rim bump but there is no repair just honest wear.

If it bothers YOU though, then send it back and look for another one that is problem-free and fits your goals.

Good luck!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47359 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  04:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with all of the above.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1010 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with others, no repair just honest wear.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25630 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VG-10 and should straight grade.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1176 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That'll straight grade, agree with others.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4180 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Going out on a limb. Removed from jewelry
Pillar of the Community
United States
1130 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with goldeagle VG10 with 4 full letters on Liberty and 3 partials showing, lots of wreath left and good looking reverse. You can go through dozens of these on eBay before you find an honest 1897 O in choice original VG. This coin saw alot of use for many years and still holds some strong detail the odds of that were slim yet it still preserverd. Although not a pricey coin they are several hundred bucks and shoot up fast in Fine- VF their down right scarce in original VG and a Rarity Level of 5.0 make it a good album coin or a double backup for trading..
its one I wouldn't throw back over the rim ding. I don't know what level your with on Barber Halfs but your going to see several more semi-keys and not so common commons with similar faded dings before you complete a full set. Their are not many 1897 O Halfs left and the pool to chose from is slim. Glass looks half full to me one this one.
Edited by luvmyCAM
10/06/2022 7:08 pm
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2022  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1949-S to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, all, for your valuable insight! -- Dan
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 556Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: