Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unknown Ming Dynasty Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 657Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  9:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add onethindime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good afternoon, this coin was part of a collection put together during WWII. I am certain it is not a modern fake, and at the very least predates 1944. It's similar to Hartill 20.229, but with yi moved to 12:00 replacing shi. It is 47mm and weighs 32.8 grams. Rare Ming issue? Contemporary counterfeit? Foreign issue? Thank you for your thoughts!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
47414 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  04:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
118370 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
531 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  09:39 am  Show Profile   Check Seeker55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For whatever it's worth, found this coin in Zeno which is similar in weight and diameter, and matches on the obverse but not the reverse.

https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=259377

It's described as Ming dynasty Tian Qi tong bao, one liang, AD 1621-1627
Valued Member
Hong Kong
170 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wandering Circle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I googled a bit in Chinese and I also can't find this Tianqi variant. Maybe it's a replica made as a luck token, or a unrecorded variant. Perhaps checking its metal composition in comparison to other Tianqi Tongbao could help?
"They cannot conquer forever!" - Frodo Baggins
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add onethindime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, I've tried every resource online but have been at a loss. I don't think it's a replica, given the quality and provenance. I also don't think it's a charm, since it shares the same value, diameter, and weight as the typical series. The typical series only had an issuance in the 10's of thousands, so it might be a variation in an already rare series.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1469 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2022  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if the reverse was made in error with missing or incorrectly placed lines from an improper casting?
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2022  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hanbaili to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a common Ming Dynasty "Tian Qi Shi Yi Liang" 10-cash coin.

Based on the size, weight, toning, calligraphy style, and the cast style, I believe it is an authentic one, but someone engraved and removed the vertical stroke of "#21313;" to make it as "#19968;", from "ten" to "one" on the reverse side.

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 657Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: