Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Large Cent - Can You Determine The Date?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,050Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
354 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  5:13 pm Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
here is a fun puzzle - can you figure out the date on this coin? I know the answer (although I wasnt the one to figure it out). bonus points if you can tell me what happened to it or identify the die marriage.

ill post some clues on friday and the answer on sunday

i like large cents. I currently have >225 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73272 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Think I'll work on my Rubik's cube instead.
Edited by Coinfrog
10/05/2022 7:03 pm
Learn More...
United States
25400 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@carr, can you tell us the weight? I wonder if this isn't one half of a split planchet.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
354 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it weighs 9.3 grams.
i like large cents. I currently have >225 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8429 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  05:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I need a lot of clues - this is hopeless for me.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United States
354 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  08:33 am  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i think this one is hopeless to almost everyone. Bob Grellman attributed the die variety from memory in less than a minute. if you know who he is that will help narrow down a date range.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2432 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it was a bust half I would figure the date and marriage

I'll take a guess: 1848, and it was defaced because it was used as a doorstop.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4156 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about an 1846 N-19? No idea what happened to the obverse. Split planchet?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2432 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Split planchet?

I was thinking that was a possibility, but the weight is fairly close to an undamaged coin.
Learn More...
United States
25400 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I'm on team split planchet, despite the fact that the other "half" would only weight a couple grams. My best guess on the date is mid 1850s.
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2596 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  10:41 am  Show Profile   Check robbudo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add robbudo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the striations above the E in AMERICA are the tell.
Valued Member
United States
354 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you got it. 1846 N-19 with a lamination/split planchet. nice work guys. the tell is the lines above the E in AMERICA.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2596 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Check robbudo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add robbudo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just curious here. WE know it's an 1846 N-19. Would the rev die marker be enough for NGC or PCGS to put the date on the slab? I'm not suggesting this SHOULD be slabbed (because I actually don't), but I'm just wondering if they would
Learn More...
United States
25400 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to know the date on this one—just shows how much I still need to learn.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
356 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2022  12:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpeedDemonND to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting. Thanks for posting.
Valued Member
United States
354 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2022  02:17 am  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i think they would slab it...but I honestly dont know. ill ask my grader buddies next summer when I see them at the summer seminar.

this one would be a fun one to have in a holder.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,050Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: