Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1899 2.5 Gold Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 405Next Topic  
Valued Member
Sweden
124 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  11:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add denkan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I would like your opinion on this coin since I have close to no experience in American goldcoins

It has prooflike character but I donīt know if a TPG would put that on the slab. There is also a small scratch above Libertys head that might cause a details grade. The photos makes it look worse than it is. A tough coin to photograf...

/denkan
Pillar of the Community
United States
9970 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks genuine and low MS when taking all the images into account. The image with the black background is a good one to evaluate. MS62 or 63 unless the small scratch details it and UNC.
ANA #R3154474
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25630 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks MS-63 to me also, and genuine.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13314 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
never use green as a background the color reflects onto the coin imparting a its hue.

MS63 straight/ probably an early strike on the die
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20337 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The miriad of small nicks and scratches in the fields are shown up by those fields, which were once PL.
Nevertheless, no wear is visible on the high points of the designs, both sides.
MS-62.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73272 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at MS-63 on this one.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 405Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: