Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 Kennedy Half Dollar SMS Special Strike

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 931Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  6:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mister Garrett to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
When I received this coin it stood out to me it is not shiny like a normal coin it is more of a flat gray or satin appearance and it has a really nice strike to it. I was just wondering if you think this could be the SMS or special strike half dollar. It has the dangley thing coming off of the four in 1964. In The first photo the one on the bottom is mine it has the different looking arrow pointing at it. I have more photos but they are too big to upload so I'll have to take more later and upload them

Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
22070 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Need better pics, but rims sure don't look squared enough.
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hobbs9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All 1964 SMS halves were found in the estate of a former mint director. I believe they were all subsequently slabbed after the initial sale in the late 80s and none were ever released through public channels. You will not find it in circulation or in a dealers silver junk box.

Be careful what you read on those "get rich from pocket change" sites. Most are just click bait and don't tell you the whole story.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1097 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately this is not the SMS Kennedy half.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73646 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4435 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regular pedestrian slightly beat up bullion coin .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8583 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  05:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Learn More...
United States
118654 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3661 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Business strike.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12365 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Check Dearborn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin has the appearance of a business strike coin. the 'Tear drop' on your coin is a bit too small and not in the correct location (too far our on the end at the corner of the cross bar.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2022  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mister Garrett to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2022  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mister Garrett to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2022  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mister Garrett to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about the line that is in the center of the 4 that almost makes a cross that I see in the 2 sms examples and in my coin but I have not seen the same thing in the business strike examples I have viewed
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2211 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2022  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF It would be nice to find one, but as stated above and every time we get one of these posts, it is not possible. They have all been accounted for. If you weren't a friend of the director of the mint in 64, you don't have one.
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2022  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hobbs9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As previously stated, these came from the estate of a former mint director and were never released to the public.

Should you disagree, you can always send it to a TPG for authentication. Short of having it in a slab, there is no way you'll ever be able to prove that it's an SMS.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1006 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2022  04:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Normal, circulated business strike coin.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 931Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: