Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1943 Lincoln Wheat Cent Die Gouge - Below Nose

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 498Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4840 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  02:54 am Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a fairly odd size for, and odd place for a die gouge, but there it is. Or "them" since it seems to be a series of gouges. Surprised this one hasn't turned up before as it's hard to miss, and if this were an Indian Head cent it would probably get an FS number.

1943 Lincoln Wheat cent die gouge - got a kleenex?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1536 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  04:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Strange, I like it!
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47515 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  04:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just throwing this out there: could it be FFD? Also,is that re-tooling along the face?Could the "gouge" have something to do with that?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73645 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bit over my head as usual, but interesting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3486 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can imagine the mint worker exclaiming "Boogered that one!" when they did that to the die. LOL

Quote:
... Just throwing this out there: could it be FFD? ...

Not sure but Feeder Finger Damage is usually north to south above ONE on the reverse during this era.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Edited by Petespockets55
10/07/2022 11:13 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3779 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first thought was Feeder Finger Damage as well, but the length IS shorter than any other I've seen. The 'glowing' profile is really interesting! GREAT capture and use of lighting!

Wonderful coin!

If that's the start of a mustache, it looks a bit wiry. Maybe that's the reason that Lincoln only had the beard for so many years.

It could also be cilia (nose hair) that's getting a bit too long. I find as I get older, they get a bit wild if I don't keep them trimmed. Lincoln was 55 years old when "The Penny Profile" picture thought used for the engraving was taken, so that sounds about right.
ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60444 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The direction is not correct to be a Feeder Finger Damage issue. Note on the Cent reverses the FFD is Vertical:

So the direction on the obverse would probably be from the base of the bust, upwards. (I've not seen that before though)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12365 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60444 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But the direction is 90 degrees off to be that issue. Also the field is all that is affected, not the bust. So some type of die event happened, but not FFD. The area round the bust (To enhance the edge of the design) called channeling, may have altered the design when they were engraving that on this die, but this is done on the master hub created that year. But because if is not on all the dies, it couldn't have happened during that process either. Which leads me to the dropped die theory. Perhaps while they were polishing the die, it may have been damaged in transit or at the polishing table. Thus only a few of the cents will be show this damage to the die. (Not the full run of the die). That is why I've ruled it out as FFD damage.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
United States
1203 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another great find. I like the unusual since it makes us all think a bit.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1203 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a cracked skull was starting to develop as well, so the die was getting old. Though the steel ones probably wore out quicker.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4840 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2022  12:28 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone! Yeah, it's at least a little bit older die with a cracked skull, but die gouges happen when they happen even one EDS coins. Pretty sure it's not FFD for all the reasons stated above, so really just think the die took a hit from one thing or another and it ended up looking like this. But it's hard to miss, and odd that it doesn't seem to be a known gouge.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60444 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2022  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep it safe for now.
Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2022  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vipes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a cool find. Looking forward to finding out about this one.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 498Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: