Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Upcoming Lousi Braille Commerative Dollar

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 3,841Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
815 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2009  08:02 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add basicbob101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was reading the US Mint profile of this new upcoming dollar and was amazed at the history of the origin of Braille as a means of communication, I never knew how it originated before...quite a story.

This will be the first US coin to ever have readable Braille on it. Reverse is a bust of Louis Braille and obverse is a student at a desk with a readable Braille word above it.

Looks pretty good, I think I will spring for a couple (at least) when it comes out. Don't think it will have the hype the Lincoln did tho.

Any comments on the suspected popularity of this coin?

(copied and pasted from the US Mint site, pics didn't come through for some reason)

The 2009 Louis Braille Bicentennial Silver Dollar commemorates the 200th anniversary of the birth of Louis Braille, inventor of the Braille system, which is still used by the blind to read and write.

Louis Braille was born in Coupvray, France, near Paris, on January 4, 1809. At the age of three, he lost the sight in his left eye as the result of an accident in his father's workshop. An infection spread to his right eye and he became completely blind by the age of four. At the age of 10, Braille received a scholarship to attend the Royal Institute for Blind Children in Paris, where he became the youngest student. At the school, most instruction was oral, but Braille read books for the blind, which had large letters embossed on the pages.

In 1821, a captain in Napoleon's army, Charles Barbier de la Serre, visited Braille's school and introduced a system he had invented called "night writing." This was a method for communicating on the battlefield at night without having to talk or light a match, which could alert the enemy. It consisted of 12 raised dots which could be combined to represent words by sounds rather than letters. Over the next few months, Braille experimented with different configurations until he found a simpler one using just six dots.

By the age of 15, using a blunt awl (the same type of tool that had injured his left eye 12 years earlier) to punch holes in paper to represent letters, Braille had developed the code that is essentially what we know today as modern Braille. It uses no more than six dots in a "cell" of two columns of up to three dots each to represent letters and contains a system of punctuation and "contractions" to speed reading and writing. It is read by passing the fingers over the raised dots.

Today, Braille has been adapted to almost every known language and is used everywhere from bus stops and maps to music notation and text books. In his native France, Louis Braille's achievement was recognized in 1952 - the 100th anniversary of his death - when his body was moved to Paris and interred in the Pantheon.

Now, for the first time in history, a United States coin features readable Braille. It is available in both proof and uncirculated versions. The obverse (heads) features a portrait of Louis Braille designed by United States Mint Artistic Infusion Program (AIP) Master Designer Joel Iskowitz and sculpted by United States Mint Sculptor/Engraver Phebe Hemphill. It is also inscribed with LIBERTY, IN GOD WE TRUST, LOUIS BRAILLE, 1809 and 2009.

The reverse (tails), showing a child reading a book in Braille, was designed by United States Mint AIP Master Designer Susan Gamble and sculpted by United States Mint Sculptor/Engraver Joseph Menna. The word Braille (abbreviated Brl in Braille code) is depicted in the upper field. The word INDEPENDENCE is featured on a bookshelf behind the child, in addition to the inscriptions UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, ONE DOLLAR and E PLURIBUS UNUM.

Surcharges from sales of the 2009 Louis Braille Bicentennial Silver Dollar are authorized to be paid to the National Federation of the Blind to further its programs to promote Braille literacy.

2009 Louis Braille Bicentennial Silver Dollar Proof Obverse

2009 Louis Braille Bicentennial Silver Dollar Proof Reverse

2009 Louis Braille Bicentennial Silver Dollar Uncirculated Obverse

2009 Louis Braille Bicentennial Silver Dollar Uncirculated Reverse
Edited by basicbob101
02/26/2009 08:09 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
6325 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2009  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I plan to get just one Proof. I want as many different Commem's as possible. I don't have many of the older ones.....but plan to pick up more as time goes by.
Mainly though, I don't want to miss any Ultra Modern Commem's. either......I don't want to look twenty years back and not have these that are coming out now. The arguement/debate is valid about peoples opinions as to whether the "older ones" are more beautiful (and more valuable) or not. And many people "detest" these new Ultra Modern Commem's.. I am not one of those !
The Bald Eagle Commem. Silver Dollar is one of the most beautiful coins I've ever seen ! And I treasure the two Proofs of those that I have !
But so for me, it's just "starting somewhere" (late in 2006) and sticking with it.....all the while occasionally purchasing the Classic Commem's. as well. (which I enjoy doing too) My Dad has given me some older ones many years back, and so I've always had some....but I want to add to that on a consistent basis now, so I buy ALL of the new ones for several years now.
It's probably never going to be feasible for me to have EVERY Commemorative Minted by the U.S. Mint, but to have a nice batch of em' will be sweet !
I won't miss this Louis Braille Commem. based on my personal collecting theory alone.
Edited by eaglefoot
02/26/2009 10:10 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
815 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2009  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basicbob101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think a generic silver dollar size album filled with commeratives would be very attractive, lable each as they are added. I may join you and start getting at least one of each. Right now the only one I have is the Granite Lady (old San Francisco mint) and the Lincoln Dollar. I started to order the Marine Corp dollar but didn't due to money shortage.

I would also like to start a generic dollar album and have all the military related commerative dollars (Ike, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Women in Armed forces, Marine Corp, etc).
Valued Member
United States
419 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2009  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add soldier4Christ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't get into commemoratives but I really think this is a really nice one. I love the use of braille on the coin.
Edited by soldier4Christ
02/26/2009 5:40 pm
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2009  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ClearwaterCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will be ordering one of each from the mint. I currently have a very large collection of modern commem's. The only one's I need to complete my set are the Olympic Dollars from the 90's.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1446 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2009  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All,

I see that this coin will be going on sale this week.

Do you think there will be delays in shipping the coin like the Lincoln one?

Ken
CCF member Member Since: 07/27/2008
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2009  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the demand for this one will be quite a bit less than for Abe but I do not think it will be ignored. With that said, I will probably purchase one when I order my Mint and Proof sets later this year.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1446 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2009  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do we know what time on Thursday (the 26th) the coin will be going on sale?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2269 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2009  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spider5689 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Usually, the mint starts selling coins at 12:00pm EST. I think this one won't be overshadowed too much by the Lincoln dollar because both proof and Unc Lincoln dollars are near a sellout. From April til the end of the year the Braille dollar will be the lone US commemorative.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1446 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2009  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just placed my order for a proof one and it is backordered until 1st of April.
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2009  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MtnCoinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I, too, just placed my order for a Proof. It will go nice in my collection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1625 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2009  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tpatna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just placed my order for 1 Proof and 1 Uncirculated. I noticed they have 2 options for the uncirculated ones...there is a new "Easy-Open" Capsule...

Why the different options?
Is there a limit set for these Commemoratives?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6325 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2009  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not going to place my order for this Commem. until late summer/early fall. I'll combine it with a few other things.....save on shipping & handling costs.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1446 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2009  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just received an email that my Proof order is still on backorder to the 16th of April now.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1446 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2009  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone heard anything further from the mint about ship dates for this coin?
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2009  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MtnCoinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got an email a few minutes ago that mine just shipped.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 3,841Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05