Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Picture The Poster !

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 998 / Views: 160,120Next Topic
Page: of 67
Pillar of the Community
United States
3127 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  06:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pete2226 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
80?! I'm not even 20 yet

Calzone - I cannot imagine the changes you will see by the time you are my age! Makes me nostalgic - starts my "remembery" going!

When I was growing up, there were no passenger jets, and no internet. If a department store was air conditioned, they advertised the fact on their store windows in large block letters with snow dripping from them.

Telephones were tied to the wall and you either talked to the operator to make a call (gave her the name of the person you were calling) or used the rotary dial (which was considered "new fangled"). My phone number in Dallas was 4 digits. There were no area codes or zip codes. Our phone was called a party line, because 4 families used it. We had to wait to use the phone until the line was clear.

School dances were sock hops. The dance our parents thought should be outlawed was The Bop.

I had a job which included being able to copy documents. I was taught to use a wet copier. First the document was exposed to light against paper which served as a negative. Then that page was placed on another sheet an immersed in a liquid developer. The 2 sheets were then pulled together through a wringer, separated, then the sheet with the copy was laid out to dry.

We would have air raid drills at school learning how to protect ourselves from a blast from an atomic bomb. At the signal, we would go into the halls and kneel facing the wall and place our hands over the back of our neck.

Even though I was quite young, I remember my job during the war. I was told to take the tin cans into the street and stomp on them to flatten them for pick up. I was told that they would be made into tanks. I also was assigned a job of working in our Victory Garden. I remember wave after wave of airplanes flying over my house in formation - P-38s and B-29s.

I remember going to the train station and watching the troop trains leaving.

I remember listening to the radio: The Lone Ranger; The Shadow; Sky King; Fibber McGee; Walter Winchell; Amos and Andy...and many more.

Sorry to rattle on...senility has its benefits!
Pillar of the Community
United States
987 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Makes me nostalgic - starts my "remembery" going!

I think it is important to remember, to tell, and to listen. I love to hear how it was before me, and I love to tell my kids how it was before them. It can make for a lot of lessons learned and interesting conversations.

Thank you for sharing!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3127 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2018  06:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pete2226 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think it is important to remember, to tell, and to listen. I love to hear how it was before me, and I love to tell my kids how it was before them. It can make for a lot of lessons learned and interesting conversations.

Thank you for sharing!

And thank you for your kind words!
Pillar of the Community
United States
914 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2018  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in!

i have two pix to post. I hope that's okay. I guess i'll hear about it if it's not. both pix taken earlier this year.

first pic: MrPink2018 in front of the pink-lighted t-mobile store at night.

second pic: MrPink2018 with the actual Mr Pink, my flamepoint siamese.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
12071 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2018  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely cat, MrPink2018, and thanks for sharing!

Quote:
We would have air raid drills at school learning how to protect ourselves from a blast from an atomic bomb. At the signal, we would go into the halls and kneel facing the wall and place our hands over the back of our neck.

I'm 33 and we did the same thing in school. I suppose it still coincided with the final years of the Cold War, though. I never understood exactly how the procedure would help in the event of an atomic bomb being detonated nearby.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3127 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2018  06:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pete2226 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm 33 and we did the same thing in school. I suppose it still coincided with the final years of the Cold War, though. I never understood exactly how the procedure would help in the event of an atomic bomb being detonated nearby.

I never understood either!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3127 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2018  06:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pete2226 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
second pic: MrPink2018 with the actual Mr Pink, my flamepoint siamese.

Love this photo!
Learn More...
United States
108322 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2018  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I never understood exactly how the procedure would help in the event of an atomic bomb being detonated nearby.
It does not help. It was the proverbial head in the ground. La la la, nothing to see here. Boom.
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2018  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I never understood exactly how the procedure would help in the event of an atomic bomb being detonated nearby.
It was to give the children something to do to keep their mind off the events, an anti-freakout measure. Most of us didn't realize just what would happen in a nuclear blast, most folks still don't. Do you? I had to learn to load nukes on airplanes, not as "dangerous" as opined, unless in the 1.5-3 mile blast zone....then the rads get ya after 5-10 miles. The danger is the fallout from the cloud and wind currents, otherwise you will not care for long. It's the biologics and chemicals that scare me more!
Edited by Crazyb0
10/03/2018 8:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8694 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2018  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

By the late sixties Bert the Turtle and Duck and Cover gave way to
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
United States
914 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2018  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks pete & spruett. I'm not much to look at but the cat is beautiful.
Edited by MrPink2018
10/08/2018 5:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2018  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the Indians were a bummer today - no more baseball for 5 months. And a long crappy Ohio winter to look forward to.
Well, this is so strange - the Browns are winning and the Indians have lost! Go Cavs?

This is to Houston - hope you get another World Series!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
12071 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  12:15 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well the Indians were a bummer today

I was disappointed, as well. With Lindor, J-Ram and the pitching, I expected at least one win. I do expect them to be even better next year, though.

Quote:
no more baseball for 5 months.

Not for me...yet.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8851 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2020  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Call me a necromancer because it's time to resurrect this thread! Thought this would be fun for my 7k post.

It's a shame all the photos of my I have are serious, and my eyes are messed up. Oh well.

This one is my picture from our virtual graduation.

This one is from last last night's/this morning's beach trip with some friends. Me and my "brother".
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16503 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2020  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah ,I guess I'm a little older than you Cameron . Started coin collecting when I was a little younger than you ( 14 )

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Page: of 67 Previous TopicReplies: 998 / Views: 160,120Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: