Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fourth Issue $.25 Postage Currency - Grade And Variety

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 599Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3297 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2022  05:04 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I need opinions on what the grade is for this postage currency. I also want to know if it is possible to distinguish between watermarked and unwatermarked paper on this note: what and how to look for regarding this feature etc

Just for the record the red seal does measure 40 mm in diameter

Pillar of the Community
United States
3297 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2022  05:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the way, this note has microscopic slivers of pink silk fibers throughout the paper on both sides. It's hard to see when you zoom in but they are there.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48358 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2022  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice note.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
74917 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2022  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very difficult to grade paper money from pics, but 'd say at least EF on this.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48358 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2022  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Calling Steve...
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
120433 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5615 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2022  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say EF to AU, hard to tell as its scanned and any folds hard to see. You can't tell watermarked from a scan unless the note is held up to a light source. I don't see the blue right end so this one is either FR 1301 (watermarked) or FR 1302 (not watermarked). Unless you are looking for a specific type, this one will work with a Fractional collection. The difference in prices is minimal.

Unless the price is good, I would pass though, the 4th series 25 cents are pretty common, this one has what I believe to be water stains. You can get an AU or Unc for under $150, graded would be more.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3957 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2022  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My knowledge concerning Fractional's is limited. Helder's opinion and advice is solid, and along with the others, it's difficult to accurately grade a note from photos. It appears to be in the XF to AU range. I always prefer Fractional notes with signatures. (Allison/Spinner)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3297 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2022  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
.from a scan

I assume this is a reference to when one places currency on top of the copy machine where the scanner operates?

I don't know how that differs from taking a photo with an iPhone. I took these photos with an iPhone.

Per Kravitz's book, an FR1303 with the same size 40 mm red seal differs from the two other red seals (watermarked and watermarked) examples. An FR1303 has a description of "paper with blue right end, front". I couldn't find a color shot of this note and would like to know exactly where this blue right end is located with some example of the shade of the blue color? Of all of the 40 mm red seal notes this blue right end one is worth twice as much as the other two in a gem classification.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5615 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2022  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is what a blue end looks like.

What ever you are using as the compression program makes your pictures look like a scan. There is digital noise which makes it hard to tell exactly what your grade is.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 599Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: