Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1884-S Morgan Dollar Grade?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 333Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
391 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2022  10:42 pm Show Profile   Check collector.detector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add collector.detector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm thinking mid AU
Thoughts?

Edited by collector.detector
11/18/2022 11:09 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
6617 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2022  01:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics show this coin to be an 1884-S that looks to be in high AU condition.

I suspect the "ugly" toning is what's left from an old Jewel Lustre "dip" that was poorly rinsed.

There are thousands of lightly circulated 1884-S dollars that surfaced during the silver dollar rush in the mid-1960's. Yours is probably from that period of time.

Might be a good candidate for professional conservation. There could be a nice coin hiding under that cruddy toning.
Edited by westernsky
11/18/2022 01:48 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73315 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2022  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tough call, good analysis by westernsky.
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2022  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericgreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13319 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2022  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i agree. it looks like the coin was improperly cleaned and would receive a details designation

AU details
Pillar of the Community
United States
5629 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2022  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree on your grade opinion.

BUT

To me the toning is strange and could result in a DETAILS grade.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9933 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2022  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with westernsky.
Valued Member
United States
391 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2022  11:04 am  Show Profile   Check collector.detector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add collector.detector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apologies for the improper title.
westernsky -
The time period makes sense, as the collection of this coin was part of a collection that was compiled in the 1920s-1960s.
The surfaces underneath the ugly toning and haze seem to be a nice, original coin
I think it would be a good candidate for conservation at NCS, having an AU 1884-S straight grade is worth the risk.
Edited by collector.detector
11/18/2022 11:48 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3715 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2022  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU Details ED The wear on the coin is in the 53/55 range with luster showing in the none toning areas. Current value $150 range. Would not recommend sending the coin as is for grading.

If you send the coin in for conservation and grading the cost will be about $75. If the coin straight grades at 53/55, the value is in the $250 to $500 range. Depending on what is under the toning, the coin could still detail grade.

You may want to consider soaking the coin in Acetone to see if it makes any difference.

You could do the conservation yourself and dip the coin, then you would know what is under the toning, and find out if the coin warrants sending in for grading. The TPG conservation will dip the coin in acid to remove the toning.

An option to always consider is to do nothing and leave the coin as is.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3715 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2022  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think it would be a good candidate for conservation at NCS, having an AU 1886-S straight grade is worth the risk.

The coin posted is a 1884 S.
Valued Member
United States
391 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2022  11:59 am  Show Profile   Check collector.detector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add collector.detector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Slider23 - Typo corrected.

Thank you for the advice.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25630 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks AU-55 details to me.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 333Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: