Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With 1840 German Silver Wedding Token

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 166Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1678 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  09:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mds308 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1840 token from Germany. One side of the coin reads: Maximillian Und Anna Preysing. The other side reads: ZUR (The) FEYER (Surname) DER (The) VERMAHLUNG (Wedding) VOM (On The) 4 MAY 1840. That's the best I can do. The coin is silver but I'm not sure of the quality. I believe it's .800 silver and not sterling. Some tarnish and a scratch on one side. The rim has a counterstamp or hallmark. This mark is very small. I don't know what it means or stands for. The token looks really nice. It weighs 3.5 grams and measures 22mm in diameter. Any help would be appreciated.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1190 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a medal "For celebration of the wedding 4 May 1840" between Maximilian von Preysing Lichtenegg-Moos and Anna von Waldburg-Zeil-Trauchburg. Max was one in a long line of Bavarian counts and the coat of arms belongs to his family.

Here is one that seems close in terms of weight and measures, in silvered bronze: https://www.ma-shops.com/saenn/item...557&curr=EUR
Learn More...
United States
25367 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool wedding medal! For completeness, can you please add a pic of the hallmark? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1678 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mds308 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After further review, I doubt it's a hallmark. It may have been a location where a bale was attached. It is directly above the family crest. Perhaps it was originally made to wear as a pendant/charm or this was added later.

Thanks for all your help.

Learn More...
United States
25367 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah ok thx for adding that edge pic anyways.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 166Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: