Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1852 Three Cent Piece - Thoughts?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 275Next Topic  
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  7:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PegenWaukegan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked this up for $60. Bad deal? Has a nasty scratch on the upper left of the obverse and a bit of a strange wear pattern - rim is almost flat on the upper right but good elsewhere. Let me know if pictures aren't good enough.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73315 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say VF details (scratched).

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
379 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
as long as the coin isn't bent (i dont think it is) that rim weakness is probably from the dies being slightly misaligned. the dies would have been slightly closer together near the date and a bit further apart around 1 or 2:00. there were a lot of die alignment issues in the 1850s and that type of issue is much more apparent on small coins than it is on larger pieces like a large cent or a silver dollar. you can find modern Roosevelt dimes that are misaligned pretty easily.
i like large cents. I currently have >225 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47378 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  04:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2347 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  06:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jessvc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All the details are there I'll say xf45.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13319 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF45 pretty close to AU. another challenging series to grade. reverse looks AU to me. the C is well defined with little if any wear and the diamond is strong
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25630 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF-45 details, cleaned.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PegenWaukegan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone.

@CarrsCoins that is really interesting. Thanks for that!

@IndianGoldEagle I got this from a reputable dealer so I don't think it's cleaned, but I would love your insight. What did you see about it that makes it look cleaned?
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 275Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: