Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

It Looks Like NGC Is Switching Up The Grading Game

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 290Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12092 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  10:19 pm Show Profile   Check Dearborn's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
They are switching to a 1 - 10 grading scale instead of the current Sheldon scale.

The article also states that NGC is the top notch grading service up and above PCGS (although they don't state that much)

https://www.coinnews.net/2022/11/17...m-for-coins/
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5016 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is really kind of dumb to equate coin collectors to comics, everyone on the coin side understand the 70 scale
Valued Member
United States
391 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Check collector.detector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add collector.detector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The NGC-X only applies to coins 1982 and newer.
The way I view it is this:
Sports card collectors and trading card collectors don't typically purchase for the history aspect but more so modern 'drops' and pack breaks where at PSA 10 vs a PSA 9 has a huge price jump and the goal is to find one of those in a pack.
The goal of NGC-X is to create more of a market for the card community- because card collectors like the simplicity of their grading scale. Furthermore - the difference between an MS68 and an MS70 makes all the difference in value.
For classic coins - not only is there a lack of appeal for that style of card/comic collector - but also most new collectors and all seasoned collectors love the Sheldon scale.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1256 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the newer stuff thats quite commoditized, this doesn't bother me much. It wont bring me into the market either.
My hoard of '82s is up to 241! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 6, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 17, 1782 x 60, 1882 x 68, 1982 x 45
Valued Member
United States
461 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 70-point grading scale for coins isn't going anywhere, same as always submitting to NGC. Rather, NGC recognized an opportunity to bring in new collectors to the hobby (more approachable to more people) NGCX makes it easier than ever for collectors of comics, trading cards, sports cards and other collectibles graded on a 10-point scale to expand their interest to coins. Most collectors of other tangible assets like cards and comics are already familiar with the 10-point Scale. The Scale is more intuitive for many people and simplifies transitioning to coins. The new Scale should invite new people into the market, increasing the demand for coins. Increased demand should translate to higher prices. When the new Scale becomes widespread, and a wave of investors enters the market, many existing coin investors will be positioned nicely to recognize gains. (so they claim)

1982 and present only, cant submit to NGC to grade on 10 point scale, sold by special dealers... 10=70, 9.9=69. Hmm, it is basically a marketing campaign. They are trying to more closely align with how grading works in other collectibles. So now a kid could get a comic book and coin both graded 10. Easy to understand for newbies, might bring in new younger collectors. However, this program is only for coins going out to partner companies, the public will not be able to submit to NGCX. Of course, if it is popular, that may change. My moderns will stay right at home I guess still ungraded,not a 10, not a 70, because 98% of the time its only the top top grade for modern coins that has value over grading costs and the other 98% I would have done better had I played megamillions or powerball.

: Reply hazy,cannot predict now
Edited by datadragon
11/24/2022 09:50 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8400 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  06:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ho-hum. Who cares? The last thing in the world I'm interested in is submitting modern copies for TPG approval.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73205 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like @datadragon's comments.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5213 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Coinfrog
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Learn More...
United States
118161 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 290Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: