Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bar Nickel Listings On Variety Vista.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 278Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2472 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  09:35 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Being kind of new to searching nickels, I was not aware of these until I just noticed it on VV. Looks like Dr. Wiles just added this to his listings. When I searched the web this was all I found, an old thread from this site. Just thought it was kind of interesting.

VV link. http://www.varietyvista.com/35%20BA...ls/index.htm

Old CCF thread. http://goccf.com/t/170613
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
893 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks makecents. That is pretty cool stuff.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1597 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jon for the information.
It's probably no big deal to some but it has a title for it.
I'm not home but I think I have some. Think I asked a question about one if it was a cud back then
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  10:33 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bar nickels have been collectible for a long time, as I find them labeled in some of the old collections I buy. A recent collection of nickels I sold with many die chips and cracks had about 25 bar nickels in it and went pretty high so maybe that's why. I believe they are officially cuds and a few are listed on cuds-on-coins.com and likely there will be at least some renewed interest now that VV has so many listed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1960 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, I found one of these coin roll hunting a couple months ago with 4 different die chips near Liberty and the date
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18146 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have at least 2 rolls of 1960-D bar nickels . Acquired in the early 60's .
Tony

For Butch & Jim rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2472 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the interest and information, folks! It would be cool if you posted some pics on this thread of your BAR nickel finds. Somebody get us started.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
2129 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bars over nickel obverse letters and digits are fairly common during 1960. All sorts of combinations are possible. I think I also have a few from 1959 and 1961, so the mint must have been doing something odd with the dies during those few years.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3626 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not only the Nickels has this "BAR". I find in quarters and halves. I agree it is a small cud. Maybe the VV want to divide the types of the cuds?

What me I observed it is this happened more on the coins with close rim to the design, No coin find after the 1980 when all designs aera was reduced and the letters and numbers are more far from the rim.
Edited by silviosi
11/24/2022 4:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1039 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to find these quite often when searching rolls/change.

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 278Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: